Wiring mains smoke alarms

Please help me to channel into the walls just once... :-)
I want to install two or three mains smoke alarms, and interlink them (so when one goes off, they all go off).
What type of smoke alarm is recommended for a hall way near a kitchen, a den, and an upstairs landing?
As I'll probably put the wiring into the walls before buying the smoke alarms, what cable should I lay to power and interlink all three devices?
Cheers, David.
These are fairly easy to source and install, I fitted four interlinked about 3 years ago, I think they were about 20 to 23 each. Use a heat dectecting one in the kitchen so it;s not affected by smoke and ordinary smoke dectectors elsewhere.Use three core (red,blue,yellow) plus earth to interconnect them, red/blue for mains supply and yellow to interconnect them, dont be tempted to use ordinary twin & earth using earth to interconnect - not allowed. Pick up mains supply from lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want lights and alarms to work in event of emergency. Mark Atherton On 8 Dec 2003 04:04:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk (David Robinson) wrote:

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down on the wiring(?)
Colin

Many burglar alarms support smoke alarms. I've got 3 on mine.
--
Andrew Gabriel

see www.smoke-alarms.co.uk
for comprehensive advice [relevant to UK]
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message writes:

see www.smoke-alarms.co.uk
Suggest D/load installer manuals [pdf] on Manuals page.
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message writes:

I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the 24hr loop.
--
Pete Cross

"Colin" < snipped-for-privacy@reply.through.group> wrote in message

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing having a PIR as well as a smoke detector. Also using the same wires.
Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm you run into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run out...
Colin
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:16:53 -0000, "Colin"

The alarm panel I installed in my last house in the mid 90s supported a separate fire circuit, and the PIRs had smoke detectors in 'em. There was a separate bell box connection for the fire circuit too, so I wired it up to an old firebell I had lying around :)
I think it was an Omnicron but I wouldn't swear to it.....the name MST3000 springs to mind too.
It's time to source a similar panel for this house too I think. After fitting mains powered detectors in other houses I want them here as well, as well as an extra couple of zones. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Generally, PIRs tend to be put in positions where a smoke alarm doesn't work properly, in corners between ceiling and wall, or worse, ceiling and two walls.

If the alarm has fire detection zones or can program zones for this purpose, then yes. In my case, the siren for fire is three blasts and then a silence where the fourth would be, repeated. That's in addition to the smoke detector's built-in siren.
--
Andrew Gabriel

My alarm gives a separate ring tone if the zone is set to be a fire zone. If you set it to be a 24h fire zone, you don't need to set the alarm for protection, either.
I've wired my intruder alarm up to my mains smoke detectors via an optional relay control output. You get the detector alarms plus the alarm buzzer. You'll even get the outside bell box going, when I can be bothered to fit it.
Christian.

on
An alarm panel with Personal Attack zone can also be used for smoke detection devices. The PA zone is a constant circuit, so a smoke detector with a normally closed switch (there are many on the market) can be placed on this loop.
There are also alarm panels with a zone or two, which can be programmed as fire detection circuits, so you're not stuck if you wish to place fire and intruder all in one panel.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Colin wrote:

Essentially because the placement requirements for the two things are different.

And be sure they also carry the battery back-up system.
For siting recommendations & ability to d/load wiring instructions see www.smoke-alarms.co.uk
[Wiring is shown in Installer manuals/see tab for this page]
snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk (David Robinson) wrote in message

I wrote a sect for the UK Selfbuild FAQ on this .... you can get the FAQ on
www.borpin.co.uk/sbfaq
Rick
Thank you all for your help, and for the excellent links.
Cheers, David.