Wiring in a shaver socket

Checking where to run the wires whilst the studs are only covered on one side.

DIYnot says

"Shaver sockets can be install a shaver socket either by connecting to a ring main with a junction box (see Adding a spur to a ring circuit from a junction box) or from an earthed lighting socket. The spur from the ring main must be fitted with a 3amp fused connection unit before connecting to the shaver socket (see Fitting a Fused Connection unit). The fused connection unit should never be installed in the bathroom.

Connection from a lighting circuit can be made directly, but must be earthed. "

Firstly, is this up to date?

If so, it seems I have two simple options for the upstairs bathroom

(1) Drop a cable down from the loft which comes off the upstairs lighting circuit (2) Spur off the upstairs ring main and put the fused connection unit in the wall outside the bathroom.

Going off the lighting seems cheaper and simpler. What are the downsides?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I don't see a problem with tapping into the lighting circuit (ignoring Part P, of course!). Many bathroom lights have shaver sockets built in. [Some of these are only live when the light is on - which is a pain if you want to leave things like electric toothbrushes charging. (I had to re-engineer mine!)]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Work will be Part P compliant and signed off. At the moment I am just doing remedial wiring to move sockets and remove ceiling lights. However I will probably be running cables into walls prior to plastering for later checking/certification. Makes no sense to take half a day of an electricians time for trivial tasks. I will leave the major new stuff to the sparky - not because I couldn't do it but because I couldn't do it quickly.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

First question really ought to be "is it right?", to which the answer is "mostly".

If taking a spur from a ring circuit then the obvious way to do it would be using a fused spur unit rather than a junction box in many cases. There is also no prohibition on the spur itself being in the bathroom if required and you place it in a position where it is unlikely to get splashed.

Also you need give some consideration to supplementary equipotential bonding - if your shaver socket is introducing the earth of a new circuit in the bathroom, and the wiring is not already to the 17th edition standard of having RCD protection on all circuits and main eq binding to spec, then the earth of the new circuit will need including into the EQ binding in the bathroom. (the actual connection can be "close" rather than in the room if required)

Yup

Or inside if easier.

None really, and in many cases it is actually simpler.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, as usual :-)

The whole downstairs back is being ripped out and redone so we will be getting a brand new CU and everything checked and tested. Major new works to be done by a pro - I'm just clearting back redundant circuits and running in wires ahead of the plasterers to save calling out the pro sparky for little bits of jobs.

Reply to
David WE Roberts