Wiring for switches

Hello,

I am trying to replace a bit of wiring in my mother's house - the present stuff has been there since the year dot.

  1. The hall and landing light switches - double switch in hall, single on landing. Presently operate as double operates hall and landing, single operates landing only and either will switch on/off the landing light.

The hall switch has three cables feeding it - one 2 core (red and black) and two 1 core cables (both red). Looks like a two way and single switch. The black and red feed the two way and the two red singles feed the other gang. There is is a short red cable linking one of the reds to the red of the double core.

The landing has a two way switch with one double core (red and black) and a single black. The single looks like it goes up to the attic to the landing light fitting.

  1. Double switch in living room - one works dining room light, the other the living room. Did have a two core feed with another cable linking it to another switch through the wall that worked the kitchen light, plus a short link between the gangs.

The conduit is too narrow to put a couple of cables in, so is the best solution to simply cut a couple of wider channels in the plaster, put in wider conduit and new twin and three core ( + earth) as appropriate?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Best regards

Reply to
No-one

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:29:12 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be No-one wrote this:-

Is this conduit made of metal, or plastic? How is it fitted to the boxes? How much damage do you want to do to the walls?

Assuming it is plastic, the best approach is generally to make a wider channel and replace the conduit with something suitable such as plastic capping or one or more bits of plastic trunking. If it is metal, the best approach is generally to lay a new run beside it with plastic capping or trunking.

An alternative is to run singles down the existing conduit and install a junction box at the top of this, where you can connect twin and earth. This avoids damaging the wall.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:29:12 +0000 (UTC), No-one mused:

Er, what exactly is the question?

Right.

Reply to
Lurch

What about Part "P"

Replacing a part will leave the rest in an outdated state. Are you competent?

Reply to
John

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:20:25 GMT, "John" mused:

I assume you're replying to the OP, try harder in future.

Reply to
Lurch

I assume Lurch is menstruating over the next few days. :)

Reply to
Mr Uncalled-For

Thanks David. Had to damage a slight bit of the wall as there was some obstruction in the conduit, but all working now.

Best regards.

Reply to
Nemo

what about it?