Wiring for an extension

One of those how much should I pay questions!

I'm having an extension built on the back of the house, one storey,

3.5m by 4.5m apx. Looking to put three double sockets and one central light fitting in there (two switches). Given that I can't see any major issues with access to ring main (and plenty o sqm to spare on maximum size) and lighting circuit, any idea what ball-park price I'd be looking at from an electrician?

I'm in York.

I'm trying to break down the cost of the extension and see what the expensive bits are.

Also

Can anyone tell me whether doing your own wiring and having it certified by an qualified person would comply with building regs? (yes I know electricity is dangerous) What do people charge to do that sort of thing?

Reply to
Joel Payne

"Joel Payne" wrote | Can anyone tell me whether doing your own wiring and | having it certified by an qualified person would comply | with building regs?

No.

The wiring must be done by a contractor registered with one of the medieval guilds authorised by Mr Prescott for such purposes, or submitted to Building Control. 'Qualified' does not come in to it.

However as you will have Building Control approval for the extension you just add the wiring on to the plans and it is covered by the extension building warrant, so no problem with DIY.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Around the £200 mark.

Reply to
Dave Jones

its an option, but

- you need to design teh system correctly

- and have it inspected by the right person.

If you need to cut cost, an easier way is to have the electrician tell you what cables to put where and you put all the cabling in. The sparky does the design, wire up and final test.

Is it actually a requirement to have electricity in an extension btw?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

NT wrote | Is it actually a requirement to have electricity in an | extension btw?

AFAIK it is a requirement in Building Regs for there to be a fixed lighting installation. I think gas lighting is acceptable as a means of satisfying the Regs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One way of avoiding part P