wiring electric cooker

No point. 1mm^2 T&E is good for 11A anyway - on a circuit with a 6A breaker that seems more than adequate.

true, but offers no real benefit and will serve to confuse the next person who has to maintain it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah well, you wouldn't agree with me Dave, in your naivety. :-) I would nominate the greatest Prime Minister the last decade has seen. One Margaret Thatcher. I suppose Old "Winny Churchill" should get a mention too.

As for the current lot, I would have to agree with you. I did think David Davis had what it took, but sadly the drugs Csar Campbell managed to win. Maybe he fed the party voters drugs and they voted for him by strings. :-)

On the Commie side, I did admire Glenda Jackson and Saddam's bum chum for their principles, although I didn't agree with their opinions.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yup. I'd certainly agree with that since she wasn't in a position to do any more damage.

But when she *was* in power she did more to wreck this country *for the majority* than any other living person. Of course, some did very well out of her.

For what? We've not been in a world war since.

It's escaped you that we've had the longest period of financial stability and growth in living memory? Something a Tory government would die for?

Both Thatcher and Churchill are/were heavily addicted to a drug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can choose your friends, but not your relatives. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Following up to

most are too old to make the effort.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Last decade? I particularly admire the way her son made all that money arms dealing.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Jim Gregory

Reply to
The Reid

I got a very good deal on a Crabtree split load off Ebay - with a choice of MCBs. Much cheaper than my local place including postage - and and rather nicer to wire than some. I think I've seen the vendor on Ebay recently, but could dig out his details if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Confuse? I prefer to inform. In our extended semi, the circuit details per breaker module of our large, split-load MEM consumer distribution unit are properly labelled on the Chart displayed alongside.....

In the 2-pole trip-isolated half.... 4 x 10A trip modules: Orign Lights RADIAL (original) Upper floor Orign Lights RADIAL (original) Lower floor Extnsn Front Lights RING Both floors Extnsn Rear Lights RING Both floors

  • other Identified, dedicated radial power runs each with appropriate current trip.

In the RCD-protected half.... 32A trip modules: Orign Power RING (original) Both floors Extnsn Front Power RING Both floors + Garage Maintained area + loft Extnsn Rear Power RING Both floors + loft Garage Worktops area Power Ring (has own local Master switch)

  • other Identified, dedicated radial power runs each with appropriate current trip.

What's ambiguous/confusing about that for the next maintainer? PS Loft lighting is managed by plugging a dedicated downlead into a

2nd-floor power socket. Jim
Reply to
Jim Gregory

Probably the bit where he is stood looking at the diagram thinking WTF are the lights on a ring circuit ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No diagram alongside the unit, just a row of labelled mimic columns indicating what function and type of circuit each breaker/trip module controls. There is nothing wrong with a lighting ring main, and, as the 1.5mm2 cable came on

100m drums, using another spare 35m returning tails from the last (or is it the first?!) of six or seven rose terminals to the consumer unit, there is no sweat. Jim
Reply to
Jim Gregory

Following up to The Reid

thanks for all the comments and wake up call on Part P. I now remember that I freed up a fuse by putting the freezer on the main kitchen ring, ran a suitable cable off the now free fuse to a 32 amp switch on the wall next to the cooker and on to a cooker connection before "P" came in. I also added "tripping" fuses to the box while I was at it. So I have a free day tomorrow as I wont be putting in a DIY cooker point contrary to Part P.

Reply to
The Reid

The message from The Reid contains these words:

But do make sure that you used the proper cable. ISTR that at one point you mentioned ring main cable which wouldn't have been good enough.

Reply to
Roger

You're not fooling no one. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Following up to Roger

very helpfully the cable reel has little pictures of a stove and a shower on it. Hopefully that doesn't mean "don't use for....." :-)

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

also the commonsense approach, the cable is clearly thicker than my ring main cable, it also looks thicker than the cable to the shower, hmmmm.

Reply to
The Reid