wiring confusion/ouside light

Hi,

I have had some good response from this newsgroup before, so I hope someone can help me understand this.

The objective is to fit an additional outside light, a lantern style one with PIR. I want to avoid complicated wiring if possible.

Currently my house has two outside lights, one near the garage, one at the side of the house, near the kitchen. I've traced the wiring of these lights, and this is what I have found:

- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a piece of 2 core cable running from this to the actual garage light

- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a piece of 2 core cable running from this to the house fuse box

- Outside switch below the garage light, there appears to be a 2 + E cable running from this, outside the house, back into the kitchen where it terminates into a switch.

- From the garage light to the light at the side of the house, there is a piece of what appears to be 2 core cable

The outside garage light switch is a single weatherproof switch. The kitchen light switch has 2 switches, and a red light (like a typical shower switch has). One of these switches controls the kitchen inside light, the other controls the outside light.

It appears to me that there is a loop circuit between the outside lights, I have no idea whether this is normal or 'best practice' etc.. Either the outside switch or the kitchen one (for the outside light) switch both lights off. This is not a problem that I cannot control them independently.

The red light on the kitchen switch never lights up, and I have no idea of the purpose of this. I have taken the face panel off the kitchen switch and it appears as if both the kitchen light switch and the outside one have a 3 cables (+, -, E) wired up. I'm assuming that one of these must be the 2 + E cable that comes into the kitchen wall about 70cm above this switch, the other is obviously the wiring for the inside kitchen light (there is also another switch at the other side of the kitchen that controls the same inside light).

The red light has a positive and negative cable attached. This appears to go into the wall cavity.

I want to fix the new outside light round the corner from the side wall light. The most obvious place for a switch is where the existing red light +

2 switch panel is. Based on the information I have provided here, what is the most likely way I can wire a new switch, or make use of the wires in the red light + 2 switch panel? (if I have to buy new switches, that is not an issue)

Also it would be nice if I could turn the new light off independently of the existing two.

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James

Try looking through the wiring schemes on this site:

BigWallop