Wiring a security light

in laws have asked me to fit an external security light - one that looks like a carriage lamp, but has a PIR.

Are there regs about whether it should be powered from a lighting ring, or could I use a spur off the main ring ? I'll fit an fused switch for it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It should be capable of being switched off for maintenance. I use a key switch on one light and a 2a lighting socket/plug for another,

Reply to
charles

I've yet to encounter any Lighting regulations police roving the streets, so as long as you fit a double pole switch I see no issues!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are no hard and fast rules, however you need to check the lamp makers instructions - it may require fused protection at 3A. Depending how you wire it, then a means of isolating it may also be required.

So in the case of power from a socket circuit, with a permanent live connection into the unit, you will need switched fused connection unit.

If hanging off the output of an existing light switch on a lighting circuit, a direct connection may be acceptable.

Reply to
John Rumm