Wiring a light

I bought a mains ceiling light from Italy which has two silver wires and one gold one. My ceiling rose has a live, neutral, and earth. I would tend to guess that the gold wire is earth and the other two are live/neutral and it doesn't matter which is live and which is neutral.

But is that right?

Reply to
Pete

Well, it certainly matters if you get live and earth mixed up! I've no idea about Italian wiring standards, but I would start by using a continuity checker - or a multimeter on its resistance range - to find out what is connected to what.

Are the bulb fittings compatible with bulbs available in UK? If not, you'll have a long trek to get replacements!

Reply to
Set Square

Ahh, Italian wiring standards !!, don't think there are any !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

[T] Nope, there aren't .. had an Italian motorbike .... ;-(

T i m ;-)

Reply to
T i m

And if there are, they ignore them.

Reply to
Huge

I have an Italian equivalent of the IEE regs. It's errm, long. And requires the use of some impressively heavy wiring (6mm for almost all supplies to sockets). So given that the stuff behind my sockets looks like bell wire but is supposed to be good for 16A. I think you may be right.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I once got involved in finding a wiring fault in a Spanish property, there was no rime nor reasoning in what colour of cable was used for what purpose or pole and some returns ran in different conduit to the feeds - I was doing it as a favour for friends who live over there (as one room had lost it's lighting circuit completely), I had to extend my 'holiday' by a week in the end as I found so much that was potentially lethal in the property !

I / don't / think that property was typical of Spanish wiring though as there had been a lot of alterations done to the property over an extended period....

Reply to
Jerry.

Well, I have no experience of Italian wiring, but having worked in Cernusco (just outside of Milan) and Milan for a few months, it seem a reasonable guess.

Reply to
Huge