Wiring a Garage consumer unit.

Problem is (and what's thrown me), is the spare pin in the bus-bar.

What makes you think the bus-bar can't be removed and hacksawed on a bench.

That way your conductive swarf could be kept away from the box.

It is also possible to file off sharp corners.

Your tinsnips are better than mine!

Reply to
Fredxxx

What makes you think I think it can't be?

how do you know this?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

An easy solution would be to buy an extra cu fuse an use the spare bus bar terminal.

Reply to
Phil

Dear Markg123, I had exactly the same issue as you post. Why there are no instructions ! ? Is just stupid. It is I fear, just a cost cutting issue? The responses are basically from people trying to sound smug and superior. A day's work fitting this would be an electrician's dream. No doubt they would want to be called for re-wiring plugs and fitting cartridge fuses too?

Excessive costs are a major safety issue, as several High Court Judges have pointed out in gas safety cases.

I didn't cut the surplus prong but just taped it over safely.

Regards, E

Reply to
Eric4164

It's completely unnecessary to do either (there's enough bare live metal in that region despite the efforts of the busbar shield), but the tape will do no harm.

Cutting the prong is more annoying when you come along and try to add a new breaker to the CU.

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to dennis, Peter W wrote: You need to look at the cover to reveal the answer. This is marked out above the centre aperture with 5 breaker width size segments, 2 for the width of the main switch and 3 for circuit breakers. However the opening centes for just two breakers apart from the mains swich with breakout plastic pieces about 9mm wide on each side that can be removed to allow a third breaker to be inserted. Then all the length of the bar would be needed. I guess the manufacturers thought it was simple and intuitive. Not!

Reply to
Peter W

The technical term for it is discrimination.

harry

What's the technical term for replying to a 2 and a half year old thread?

Reply to
The Other John

Thinking time .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Latency?

Reply to
Roger Mills

replying to Toby, Alan Wallis wrote: Just used your wiring instructions and photo for wiring up consumer unit ,thanks a lot for the post it was most helpful .Alan

Reply to
Alan Wallis

replying to MarkG123, Ian H wrote: In the photo above it shows 2 live wires going out but only 1 neutral, is this correct & if so why ?

Reply to
Ian H

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

What photo, where? This is a text only newsgroup.

Reply to
Fredxxx

No. There should be 2 neutrals to match the 2 circuits; and 2 CPCs too.

Reply to
Robin

The problem here is you posted through a web portal that does not pass on the pictures to the outside world You really need to post a dropbox link to any pictures etc for those viewing on Us3enet to be able to know what you refer to. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to Ian H, Sparky wrote: Its just 4 clarity all n to n bar all earth to earth bar

Reply to
Sparky

replying to Ian H, Sparky wrote: Its showing that for clarity ALL NEUTRAL WIRES GO TO NUETRAL BAR ALL EARTH WIRES GO TO EARTH BAR HOPE THIS HELPS

Reply to
Sparky

replying to MarkG123, Chris wrote: Can I add another mcb,like a 16 to the bus bar.

Reply to
Chris

More info required.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The fact that you've not given any of the relevant information suggests that you don't yet have the skill to do so. Why don't you show us a pic of what you have there already.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr