Wiring a dimmer switch....

Page 1 of 3
Hope i'm doing this right.....
i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???
I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:48:30 -0000, "Floozie"

Simple answer- Put one red in Com, put the other red in L1. Turn on light!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
:-) simple and to the point :-)
wrote:

so
switch
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:48:30 -0000, "Floozie"

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.
It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more wires.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No it wouldn't.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

red so

switch
http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht02.html that should help :-?

What? Was that meant to clear something up somehow?
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

<panto mode>
Oh yes it would!
</panto mode>
(if you ended up with the common going to L1 for example, you would loose the "changeover" effect required, because in one switch position the common would be not connected to anything)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:46:53 +0000, John Rumm

Sorry, I don't need two of you at it! I think you could be getting confused with something else, or making it up. ;-)
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:03:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

I'm not confused...
Ignoring the picture of the U.S. switch with wire nuts, for a 2 way lighting connection in the UK, the placement of wires certainly matters.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches, if I were to take off my shoes and socks I would be barefoot. What relevance has any of this got to a 1 way dimmer with 2 red wires and 2 terminals on a 1 way switch? Although if both the feed and switch wire in the twin from the fitting are red then none of them go in common, they go in L1 and L2, any way round, doesn't matter.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I love the way these threads spiral out of control. :-)) Who the hell mentioned two way switching in the first place ? :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:02:47 GMT, "BigWallop"

I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2 way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they may be planning to change another.
I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch because that was not necessary. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

1. Mentioning 2 way was totally unneccesary, that's kind of what I was getting at. 2. If you're going to bring it up explain fully, half a story confuses people more than it helps. 3. I haven't a clue what you're on about anyway, I'm losing the will to live.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:37:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

I said
"If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.
It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more wires."
That's clear enough.

There was no "half a story".

Simply clarifying what I said. If you are confused, I'm sorry, but it's clear enough.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:26:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

None at all, I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2 way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they may be planning to change another.
I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch because that was not necessary.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ps. Enjoyed the Panto ;-)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:49:44 -0000, "Floozie"

Oh no you didn't.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:20:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

Of course it would.
If the wires became mixed up the switch would not work correctly. Also, there are at least two ways to wire a 2 way light circuit.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It would also matter if something else was different, but it wasn't\isn't, so doesn't matter

Yes, if it was a two way, but it's not, so it bears no relevance to this thread.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, your point is?
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.