Wiring a CAT5e home network

Page 3 of 3

I know I'm a bit out of touch these days, but when I was in the TV business, baseband 625line broadcast TV bandwidth was 50c/s to 5.5Mc/s. (never did catch on to this Hertz lark :-) ) Not arguing, just wondering what's changed.
Cheers,
Ian
Ian Izett wrote:

nothing and everything...
PAL TV style video is the same as you describe, but when talking about remote display technologies like video senders, remote KVM switches etc, the phrase "video" is often referring to the video output of a computer to its display.
A hi-res display running at say 1600 x 1200 with a refresh rate of 85Hz will be running at a line rate over 100KHz rather than the usual 15KHz for PAL, and pixel clock capable of displaying 1600 pixels per line is going to push the video bandwidth required into the 100s of MHz
--
Cheers,

John.

A technical paper entitled "Non-Data Applications for Category 5 Cable" might be of interest: http://bwcecom.belden.com/college/techpprs/ndac5ctp.htm
--
Selah

In the 50's they all said internal combustion engine would be extinct and we would all have nuclear powered flying cars by 2000 ......... not too many of them in my street.
If you are building a new house it makes total sense to flood wire with CAT5, it is peanuts in price compared to building costs - and so what if in the future you don't use it.
But it is a hell of a pain if you want it and didn't put in in during build time.
I have built a new place and put in several km's of CAT5 and also more than a km of CT100.
I put multiple rums of each to every room, extra CAT5 to ceiling sensor locations, alarm detectors, inside & out, possible projector locations etc. etc.
Rick
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:10:45 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"

I imagine your home must be lit up like a christmas tree to a passing thunderstorm which is looking to dissipate some energy to the ground ;)
Seriously though, if a lightning strike came to earth somewhere close to your home I would expect all that extra wiring to act as a conductive path to possibly take out the whole house. Have you taken any precautions about that possibility?
Also, could you not use fibre optic, which doesn't have the lightning issue to deal with. More expensive of course, but more than adequate for future transmission speeds.
PoP
At a simple level take aloofly at a look section in the SelfBuild FAQ http://www.borpin.co.uk/sbfaq

Just go along to B&Q and buy a home network cabling starter kit -- all cabling bits and tools you need plus decent instruction -- Screwfix and Maplin do similar kits but B&Q are on special offer and they also throw in a free mouse.

Is the mouse trained to pull the cable under the floor ? :-))
(so sorry, I'm just being silly. I'll get me coat)
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com