Wires

I got fed up of sitting at my desk, stretching my legs out and getting my plates of meat tangled up in all of the cables at the back of my desk. Easy answer is to get a bit of that foam pipe insulation stuff and run the cables through it.

Food for thought?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

As long as they aren't carrying significant load. The spiral or "clip" stuff is cheap enough and more compact.

Reply to
newshound

Nope, build a cable tray under the desk. Bits of plywood and screws should do it.

Reply to
Adrian C

"Fed up *of* " ???

Stand over there and wait for Adam to apply your punishment.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I use releaseable cable ties to form them into bundles out of the way. But if you have bits of pipe insulation to hand and no releasable cable ties...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I tend to stick a staple in the back of the desk every couple of feet, and then thread a large relocking cable tie through it. keeps them all up off the floor and out of the way.

Reply to
John Rumm

No load. It looks outstanding.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Not really.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I did use cable ties but the cables still looked a mess and my large feet still got stuck in them. It's only taken me the best part of four years to come up with my outstanding idea.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Aye. Good idea is that. Hmmmmmm Trouble is that some of my cable are a little short.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I've screwed bits of wood about 10cm wide to the back of the pedestals either side of the foot well (four-drawer pedestal either side of the foot well). Into those I screw hooks round which spare cable is wound, or which handily suspend the brick power supplies needed for some small computers and disk drives. That declutters the desk and removes the cable clutter too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I used a bit of foam. I nearly debollocked myself sticking a coat hanger on to the underside - back of my desk to hang the cables that just had to go up.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I've made a false back for the knee space of my desk, with all the cables - including wall-warts for phones and routers etc. - hidden behind it. It attaches with velcro, so I can pull it off when I need to get at the wires.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My wife would be over the moon if I did that. Cables on the floor make her mental.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mr Pounder writes

Just for the record, whatever animal feasted on the foam handles of my

2 sets of Aldi secateurs (sp?) in the garage also took some bites out of the foam pipe insulation I was storing there. It didn't seem to find the insulation quite so tasty, but there were substantial bites
Reply to
Bill

rat or mouse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not necessarily gnawing for food, rodents have to keep doing it to prevent their teeth from overgrowing.

Could be a squirrel. Look for signs of trying to isolate a 'nut'.

Reply to
Adrian C

wheres wodney telling us he dosent suffer this problem, because he designed and built his house to avoid just this problem.

Reply to
Gazz