Has anyone experience of such devices?

Reply to
Jim S

Yes I use one.

Dave

Reply to
David

Har de har

Is it useful/accurate and what kind is it? Do I need one with outside humidity sensor or just temperature?

Reply to
Jim S

a look here, gives all the info mine puts out. There is a forum link at the bottom which will have all the information you want.

Dave

Reply to
David

Same one here and the only problem with it, was the anemometer disintegrated in the last gales we had. The plastic used for the head is not very UV proof and after two years use, it had become quite brittle. Need to make or source a new propeller with the three cups thingummy.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not had that problem been through 3 NE Scotland winters and "summers" with no problem. Current problem is a loss of sensor contact. Coincides with a signal on 145.550 MHz which I have not tracked down!

Dave

Reply to
David

I don't want anything so sophisticated, just temperature/humidity sensors with barometer.

Reply to
Jim S

That's smack in the middle of the FM segment of the radio amateur 144MHz (aka 2 metre) band. Are you sure it should be transmitting there? And even if it is, you can't complain about the valid users of the frequency trampling all over you....

Reply to
Huge

I spotted the problem, or lack of, with UV instability ....

"Scotland and Summer" do not = sunlight and UV rays ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Keep your eyes out for special offers at Aldi or Lidl. A couple of times a year they'll do indoor/outdoor weather stations for between £10 and £20; you may find the cheaper ones only do outdoor temperatures, but the better specced ones do humidity and pressure too and are good value.

Other than those special offers, if you're near Clas Ohlson, they have quite a range. Check their range online.

OG

I know exactly where it is I am licensed. Not tracked the signal yet just monitored it. The Station transmits in the 70cm band as it is allowed to do (Lower Power Device).

The time the sensor loses contact coincides exactly with the transmission. I suspect a harmonic but have not traced the source (YET)

Dave

Reply to
David

David laid this down on his screen :

Amateur radio 2metre repeater output channel!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Go with OG's suggestion

Regards Dave

Reply to
David

David expressed precisely :

Local taxi company radio with harmonics?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I might be missing the point - but wouldn't you want the wind thingyometers to be up high in the wind, but the temperatur sensor in the shade preferably on the north side of something?

Reply to
Tim Watts

one I have gives barometric pressure, which is reasonably accurate as compared to the telly and my aneroid, outside and inside temp, inside humidity, pressure trend and radio clock. It also does max and min. It was less than =A315 and has given good service for more than 2 years with a single change of battery. I suppose a bit sad, but it gets a lot of use, especially outside temp!

John

Reply to
JohnW

Simplex

Reply to
David

Er, yes - which was why the gales destroyed it.

Yes - the temperature sensor, hydrometer, radio time code receiver and transmitter are separate from the above, as is the rain sensor - so you can mount them away from it in a sheltered spot. The temperature sensor comes with a crude Stevenson screen, to which I added a second one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

David explained on 26/05/2011 :

Who are you calling names :-)

You are correct, simplex.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah - that wasn't totally obvious in the picture...

Reply to
Tim Watts