Wireless tyre pressure monitoring?

You're wrong. The hight of the tyre from the rim makes a significant difference. Regardless of profile, when the tyre is flat, the rim drops straight down, and the sidewalls flex away. In the case of a 60 plus profile, the rim will in effect run on the part of the tyre nearest the rim, and the tread of the tyre, with much of the sidewall outside the actual contact points Because there is less depth of sidewall on a low profile tyre, the rim can actually run on the folded sidewall itself, which leads to rapid delamination. The sidewall just can't take such severe creasing without damage.

Unless, of

Suspension travel has nothing to do with it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I think you're confusing any difference between tread width and rim width with the height of the sidewall.

The ONLY difference between a flat 60 and a flat 40 profile tyre, of the same tread width on the same width rim, is going to be the amount of sidewall hanging out the side. Unless you're thinking the bead somehow miraculously comes unseated?

Reply to
Adrian

My experience too.

I have stopped telling people for fear of their reaction.

Reply to
Bruce

I think Mike is thinking that with more sidewall the bend radius is less severe, so less stressful, which I'd say is correct. However, I reckon running on the sidewall regardless of the bend severity will quickly knacker the tyre.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The shower of sparks from the rims should be a good clue !! Brad

Reply to
BRAD

Roger Mills coughed up some electrons that declared:

The difficulty comes with mounting something with a bit of electronics and a battery as an aftermarket valve-stalk attachment (eg think of the wheel balance and the forces on the stalk doing 70 down the M1 with your R14 wheels or whatever). It can be done for large trucks, but everything's a bit bigger and slower than for a car, so the relative problems are lessened.

Lots of solutions exist as a manufacturing option where they get to mount stuff inside the wheel.

My advice is to get the easiest to use tyre gauge, keep it in the glove box and use it once per week or fortnight when you check your washer water or whatever.

Halfords are selling a digital one branded Michelin which I've got (previously having use the old fashioned but ever reliable mechanical ones). Seems quite good and just a little bit quicker, little bit easier which is what you want for a boring routine job.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Mike G writes

You can get sensors integrated into the valve stem that sit inside the tyre and you can buy sensors that mount around the centre of the rim with a steel band (bit like a big hose clip) but they cost a bit more.

Remember to tell the tyre fitters that you have the system as the sensors have a nasty habit of ending up in the bin or smashed.

These look similar to the systems fitted by some car manufacturers;

connection to the company just the first Google hit that matched what I was looking for.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I did manage to drive a Astra est for 5 miles or so round country roads and I could not make out what was causing a increase in road noise,the car handled fine that was my first ever puncture and it continued to run on the rubber rather than the wheel rim, when it was repaired the puncture was caused by a horse shoe that went right through the tyre much to the amusement of the kwikfit fitter

Reply to
Kevin

Renault fit them to several cars, kwikfit sometimes forget and rip the heads off them, as these are £30 ish each it pleases the manager no end as it come out of his profits, but you do have to tell the computer which sensor is on which wheel somehow

Reply to
Kevin

In message , BRAD writes

You don't get a shower of sparks from and alloy wheel. You might from a shredded steel reinforced tyre.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Was the horse hurt?

Reply to
Hawk aye the noo

IME a 60 plus profile tyre can survive running a short distance when it's flat. The 255x40x17 tyre on a 9.5" rim on my car was knackered after less than a quarter of a mile at low speed.

20-25mph. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I once killed an 80-profile in a few hundred yards, after coming back to the car in the office car park - with no spare... K-F were just around the corner, but... nope. Deader than a dead thing.

The key is _totally_ flat, rather than just soft.

Reply to
Adrian

not that I noticed :-) he might have had a limp though

Reply to
Kevin

The rear Bridgestone tyre on my Honda (also 45 profile) didn't look flat but had no pressure at all. The sidewalls on some tyres are so thick it can be hard to tell.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Have you tried using eyes? They're wireless and great for detecting low pressure in tyres, using a system of pattern matching against stored reference patterns. You have to use them fairly regularly. I use mine before every drive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Lawrence

And presumably you also have a system of elaborate mirrors so that you can watch the tyres while in motion?

As others have testified, if these very low profile tyres lose pressure, they're knackered in very short order!

Reply to
Roger Mills

S'okay, I was taking the piss. You just set it up so good!

I can't imagine it does the wheels any favours either :(

Chris

Reply to
Chris Lawrence

I thought some cars use the antilock braking sensors to compare the speed of each wheel - over a significant distance. If one is revolving at a different speed consistently then it warns of a puncture

Reply to
John

That quite clever. Does it warn of four punctures while you are going round a roundabout? Or one, when one wheel is spinning in the verge? :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher