Wireless Room Stats - Good or Bad?

Hi all

Seem to be posting zillions of q's today! What is the group's opinion of wireless room stats?

I know the installers like them because they don't have to run cables. Are they overly complex for a domestic installation?

I am being quoted for a system that will have a programmer on the hot water zone only, with upstairs and downstairs heating being separately controlled (2 heating zones) by individual wireless stats.

Anyone like to comment on this set-up?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Trying to get cables run neatly from the control point to the stat position can be overly complex in many cases!

We've had a Honeywell CM67RF wireless programmable stat in our church for several years and it has been totally reliable. The CM67 is a great piece of kit, especially if you take time to really understand all it will do. As a basic example in your case you could set it to have the bedroom zone at 18C from 1800-2200 and then bump up to 21C from 2200-2230

Reply to
Tony Bryer

OK, if you have to. They are basically the cheap option, rather than running cables and redecorating.

No. They are specifically intended for domestic installation. I would not consider using them in a commercial or industrial environment.

Yes. It is a very good idea. However, I would put the heating through a twin zone programmer, but set to 24h on the heating side. Although not entirely necessary, it has 2 advantages. Firstly, it provides a convenient switch when you want the heating off. Secondly, it can help prevent teenagers overriding the controls at night because they want the heating on and the window wide open.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes mine did that last night (she'd just washed some garment which she wanted to wear this morning - so, perfectly reasonable solution to the teenaged brain.) Bless.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Running cables when everything is decorated and carpets down is a PITA.

No, they are super devices. I have a Danfoss TP75 (didn't like the CM67 which everyone raves about), it just sits there and gets on with the job controlling the temp for our comfort. I do have the receiver switched supply feed through a normal programmer so that when I want the heating off it's really off not just off until it gets cold enough. Not to mention the noise of creaking pipework at 3AM isn't welcomed...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With you on this one.

Didn't know about the teenage approach to global warming though (a couple of years to go for me on that one).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Honeywell CM67 RF works well for me, can experiment with different positions in the house (or even move it for different times of year etc)and will work with more than 1 thermostat with the relay box.

Robert Robert

Reply to
robert

Do they do tank stats as well - impossible to run a wire neatly

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick