Wireless Networking Conundrum

Hello All

I have a Belkin 802.11g wireless router with ADSL modem and I want to extend the coverage to an office building that is built on the end of my garage. If I take my notebook into the office I don't get a signal, if however I stand at the door entrance I do get a weak signal. I plan to install a couple of servers in the office and want these to be connected to my wireless network and to the internet.

I have decided that I could probably purchase a Bellkin Wireless Access Point and utilise it as a repeater. I could install this repeater in the office building, attach an external antenna to it and then attach this to the outside of the office wall (where there is a weak signal). Hopefully the repeater will boost the signal. I would then simply cable the servers into the access point.

One thing I am finding difficult to locate is a high gain aerial that will be ok to be mounted outside on the office wall. Also the aerial will need to have a pretty lengthy cable so I can run it accordingly.

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, will this work, and also any ideas on where I can get an antenna from that is sutiable for this type of application.

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Since this is a DIY group, start off by trying your own. Google for 'Pringles antenna'. This is not a joke.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Damn it, you beat me to it Bob.

Reply to
Graham

Update the firmware.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Does anyone have thoughts on this setup, will this work, and also any

Reply to
tony sayer

What distance are you talking about? What is the office made of?

Moving the router a little might have some effect.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Does the antenna need a lengthy cable, or would it be better to situate the transceiver outside, closer to the antenna? A single cat5e cable could supply both power and network connectivity to the external unit.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason

Yes, stop being a lazy bodger, install a wired Cat5 network...

Reply to
Jerry

Come on, ethernet is dead as the dodo. I suppose you have telephone outlets in the loo.

Wireless rules.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

There is always one!

Reply to
r.rain

If you say so!. Not had many probs with it then ?

Dave

Reply to
gort

The antenna needs a lengthy cable, the repeater also has a built in hub, I think 4 ports. I need to plug my servers into this so I would need to run 4 ethernet cables to the unit.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

about 25 metres from the router to the office. If I put the router on the outside window cill I don't get a problem, however it cannot stay there and has to be inside the house. When it is inside the office is several walls away internal and external.

Brick, although the house is made of stone and brick, with plaster and lathe and solid internal walls

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

There are plenty, it's just most don't bother placing their head above the sand bags, just like there are plenty of people who don't believe all the latest marketing hype...

Reply to
Jerry

Tell that to people like the MOD, tell that to people who need 1000T networks...

Who would answer / use the phone whilst on the loo?!...

So the marketing men keep saying, funny how they never highlight the problems, like no or weak reception, or the ability of others to use your (insecure) network...

Reply to
Jerry

I'm going to side with Jerry - we have extremely network intense operations at work, and use Cat6 1GB networks - and I don't work at an ISP!!

I'd like to see you get a 70GB disk image over a network using wireless...

(M>

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

Cheers Bob, looks good. Now to find out how the hell I can get the standard antenna off, if I can even!

Reply to
r.rain

Beg to differ.. especially when there is a bit of 2.4Ghz congestion.

Ever heard of netstumbler?..

Reply to
tony sayer

And why would that be a problem? I have copied GB worth of files from my server to my media centre PC without any problems at all.

Reply to
r.rain

The message from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

I spent an annoying afternoon last week installing cabling for wired ethernet because it still has many advantages over wireless. Mainly it's more reliable and provided your portal to the outside world is secure it's as tight as a duck's arse.

I know wireless can be secured, but there's always the chance of getting it wrong, or of the kids starting to explore and move things around. That can't happen with wired.

Oh, and it's cheaper. Adding two more PCs cost me under £20, though to do that I had to scrounge a switch as I've used all four ports on my router.

Reply to
Guy King