Wireless Door Bell

My elderly mother is hard of hearing. She has a wireless door alarm but it's so quiet she often doesn't hear it (I think it's a Byron). Plenty of alternatives on Amazon but can anyone recommend one that is LOUD!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Get in touch with the NDCS they have supplies of this sort of thing and it may be lower cost than the normal ones.

Reply to
Gary

Ours is a Friedland Evo, and it seems to be plenty loud enough for us, but then we don't have ropy ol' ears on us. There's two chimes on it, both a bit irritating, but one's definitely louder than t'other.

The nice thing, of course, about a wireless bell is that you can put it in the room she's most likely to be in. A quick look on Amazon suggests you can get extra chimes - one per room?

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry I meant to say RNID. My wife used to work for them and they will supply all sorts . They have one that is very loud and has a flashing light ( mains powered).

Reply to
Gary

DIY a sound bomb into the receiver?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not hard of hearing, but when I first moved in here I never heard people knock on my door, especially if I was dozing. However, I've now bought a Jegs package consisting of a single push and two chimes, one of which now hangs in the room where I commonly work - problem solved, at least so far.

Later I bought a second push and chime, the idea being that if anyone did happen to come to the old front door, all the chimes would ring differently, but, although I did have that working for a while, I'm not sure that it still is. I suspect the chimes have all reverted to the new front door chime for everything.

I was wondering whether to get one for the post box at the end of the drive, so I'd know without battling through the snow in winter if there is any post in it.

At any rate, the pushes work off standard watch batteries, and are quickly and easily fixed to a wooden door or frame by screws which are supplied - also supplied are some double-sided stickies which might be ok on plastic frames, but I wasn't inclined to trust them to last more than a week or two in this climate, and used the screws. The chimes use two standard AAs and are also supplied with screws for mounting. The slots for them are of the type where you can unhook them, and as they also have a built-in belt clip, if you have a burning desire to see what happens when one is devoured by your mower, you can clip it to your belt when doing the mowing, so that you know if someone is at the door.

I've > My elderly mother is hard of hearing. She has a wireless door alarm

Reply to
Java Jive

My son had a wireless doorbell that worked most of the time but sometimes didn't for no apparent reason. Chucked it out and put a wired battery powered job in

Reply to
stuart noble

The west midlands fire brigade fitted a smoke alarm for the deaf for my father. It was loud had a flashing light and a vibrating pad. It had inputs for a door bell and an option for a cordless door push. It may be worth checking your local brigade to see if they do similar stuff.

PS it was free.

Reply to
dennis

If you talk to the local Social Services they often can help with this sort of thing, as they often get asked. They are not cheap though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just did an upgrade - actually a 'hack' to those beloved of this term - to my wireless doorbell.

For a start it is a Byron SX15, which is a wireless unit that couples into a traditional bell, so is plenty loud enough. It carries it's own batterie s (D type) and probably in the average house could be moved around to where the occupant the occupant is most likely to hear it.

However there is a problem with all these wireless units (perhaps my 'all' is a bit sweeping, as no doubt someone will counter it!), in that the front door push and transmission unit is powered by two button cells and is not adequately sealed against the weather. Hence their regular failure as muck gets in between the cells and affects the pcb's contacts too. One of the reasons why postmen and delivery drivers regularly thump on doors instead o f trying the bell, which they've learnt are regularly non-functioning.

I also live in a stone walled house so the bell had to be close to the fron t door. Fortunately there was still a wire in the door frame behind the do or push, so I modified an old brass bell push with a modern miniature push switch, and soldered the other end of the wire across the similar switch in the wireless door push and put that in the attic.

So I now have a bell push which is not nasty plastic, a bell that is loud a nd can be moved throughout the house.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

+1

I fitted one of theirs for an elderly, deaf as a post, lady. Very loud indeed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I believe Byron also do old style bells on strings, together with bell pulls and pulleys and cord...great for thich walled houses Once you've drilled the necessary hole for the pull).

Reply to
Bob Eager

A231 Libra+ flashing door chime

This doorbell flashes brightly making it suitable for everyone, including people who are profoundly deaf. It is also our loudest door chime and has a longer range than most others too.

£44.99
Reply to
Gary

Many thanks for all the comments. I've now found one that should suit her, a Geemarc Amplicall,

Chris Hogg

What a terrible website! There's no information about how one would use this thing. Are the two parts some sort of transmitter/base station, and a receiver? For phone calls, is one part plugged into a phone socket? How does it interface with a doorbell?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Sounds like you've never come across a wireless doorbell before! You put the bell push outside on the door frame and the ringer wherever you want it in the house, and that's it. Batteries are included. Simple. No twenty page instruction leaflet needed (except perhaps for the unutterably thick). This model doesn't have a link to a telephone.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have; I thought this was a device to add to an existing house's wireless (or wired) doorbell, sorry.

Then my point about the webpage stands. The page says: "Fully compatible with BT phone lines.".

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Well it is compatible as it doesn't connect to one.

This one where they have cut and pasted from does.

dennis