Wireless door bell?

Is there such a thing? Basically, I'm looking for a door bell system running on WiFi, or something equivalent. (It could rely on a running computer, if that were necessary.)

I've been impressed how good WiFi is at linking computers - and how good cordless telephones are - and was wondering if one could eliminate bell wires in the same way.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Very widely available. Any shed or online diy supplier. Practically everywhere that sells wired door bells also sells wireless ones.

Reply to
Grunff

Aldi has a wireless chime that plugs into a socket and a battery powered buzzer. So you can take the bell around the house with you.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

Like has already been suggested - all the sheds keep them - I got a bog standard one from B&Q, had no problems with it, despite already running a wireless LAN and a wireless burglar alarm (I'm going to get a frequency clash eventually). The only thing I would suggest is a second "ringer" as the single one we have downstairs we can only hear upstairs if it's quiet.

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

Why not just get a simple wireless one, why make things complicated just for the sake of it?

When your Windoze crashes, how will you know when the Jehovah's Witnesses are at the door wanting to save your soul?

Reply to
raden

It could be run wth Netware, and then the bell would work for the Mormons but not the JWs.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes!

I have a Friedland Libra "system"

It comprises of three chimes (One upstiars, one downstiars and one in my "workshop" (Shed!) I also have two bell pushes (I connected one up to the back door entry phone with a relay, so the phone part buzzes, and the Libra goes DingDong

The other one is on the front door, when this is pressed, the Libra chimes go Ding Dong Ding Dong - So we know which door to go to!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Or more likely leave it down the side of the sofa where it can't be heard...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the problem. A good loud 'bell' and a PP3 aren't compatible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the right there is a section labeled "Wireless Chimes"

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Yup: button on outside of door, wind-up clockwork mechanism on inside which rings when button is pressed (as long as you've remembered to wind it up :-). No wires ;-)

802.11 is perhaps a wee bit OTT for a doorbell. The bog standard wireless ones which run on c. 460MHz are OK (as long as you remember to replace the batteries)
Reply to
John Stumbles

You could instead use a string attached via pulleys to a propper bell - no batteries, wires or clockwork!

Reply to
Ric

Mechanical bells aren't but electronic "chimes" should be no problem - battery smoke alarms manage to make quite a bit of noise.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I have had one for years. Works well, but in first month we were convinced local kids were playing "ring the bell and run away." Turns out our next door neighbours had the same model, tuned to the same frequency. Every time someone called at their house, our bell rang and vice versa. Had great fun when we realised, and they didn't know.....

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

They are, but then they're not expected to operate as often as a door bell.

All the wireless ones I've heard are pathetic. As are all electronic chimes. Unless you've got a very small house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in news:S7g7d.134315$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Had a similar experience, except we eventually twigged that every phantom doorbell ring was shortly followed by a particular car setting off. Seems a neighbour's remote unlocker was to blame - changing the frequency setting of the doorbell fixed it.

Reply to
Frank le Spikkin

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | > Mechanical bells aren't but electronic "chimes" should be | > no problem - battery smoke alarms manage to make quite a | > bit of noise. | They are, but then they're not expected to operate as often | as a door bell.

That may not be the case if one is an accident-prone recluse, of course :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain