wireless cctv

I have a 4channel wireless CCTV receiver - how do I work out what "frequencies" each of the 4 channels use? If i were to buy another wireless CCTV camera - (non-matching as these are old) what would be chances of somehow getting it to work with the existing receiver?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

If its a legal 2.4GHz set then they should work fine. If its one of the illegal sets sold on ebay then it may or may not work. There is no security on them so if they transmit at the right frequency anyone including you should be able to recieve them. Posting some manufacturer details would allow others to have a clue about its capabilities BTW.

Reply to
dennis

I'll have alook later - it does interfere with our wireless network (tolerably) if that's a clue? how are the 4 "channels" differentiated?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Not if two senders are set for the same channel, which is the crux of the question.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The cameras may be colour coded for the four channels. I know it's definitely possible to identify them with some brands.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Wireless networks are on 2.4GHz (usually) so it sounds like its probably

2.4GHz so it will probably work.

There are a few ways..

I have one that only uses one radio channel but has a pir in each camera and the base unit can switch them on and off. It selects which camera to view and it can only view one wireless camera at a time.

Others use different frequencies (channels), running four of them will probably interfere with a WLAN and may make it unusable.

The best bet is an IP camera, these appear on the WLAN and can be viewed and recorded on a PC. They cost about £60+, They can't be viewed by anyone who doesn't have access to your LAN.

Reply to
dennis

mmm I expect they will defo be different brands :>) the ones I have (2 cameras) have numbered dip? switches on each TX and RX as in channel 1,2,3 or 4. Assuming a newer camera operates on a 4 frequency reciever - what are the chances of it working or being made to work with the old receiver? Do they have "trim pots" inside that I may be able to adjust? or something?!!

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

If you can find more details on the existing reciever, it may say the frequencies it uses for each channel - Then you can lookup the camera you are look to buy and see if the match.

If you buy over the net, then you can always send it back if it doesn't work.

Personally, from my experiance of 2.4GHz cameras, the qulity is dubious, the power consumption is high, and it really makes CCTV, OCTV (Open Circuit TeleVision) as it is quite trivial for an attacker to tune into the cameras to see what they can see.

I would go wired all the time - CCTV can go down CAT5 too, so only a small cable to each camera.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

take your point abt the open ness - but for domestic cheapo usage I think they're ok for the =A3=A3=A3.

Do you have a setup of some sort you could describe for info?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK