Wireless basin waste?

No, I thought not, so until scotty manages to fix the transporter, I suppose i'll have to use 1 1/4" pipe :=((
Anyways.........
I am about to replace the downstairs toilet with a modern item and want to take the opertunity to plumb in a basin.
The current arrangement is an old fashioned pan with the outlet pointing downwards and a short straight multiquick type connector which connects to what appears to be a cast iron hole in the floor (ie it is flush with the surrounding tiles).
Does anyone know the best arangement of plumbery fittings to join the new pan and allow the 1 1/4" pipe from the basin to also be connected to the cast iron.
I see that plumb centre stock a right angle multiquick complete with 1 1/4" spigot, but i'm not sure whether this would be the right length, or whether I would need to use some other fitting/fittings.
Also the bricks are pretty hard, if I hire a core drill and a machine to drive it, to make the holes for the hot cold and waste pipes (want to take the waste out through the wall and back again for aesthetic reasons) is it "Hot knife through butter time", or will I be standing there for hours?
On 27 Nov 2003 04:49:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uk2.net (Chris Holmes) wrote:

Hot knife thru butter is about right - IF you use an SDS drill to drive the core bit.
Make sure you hire a diamond core drill, rather than TCT. Diamond cores chew thru the wall and out the other side without leaving a ghastly great hole on the far side, whereas TCT thinks it really ought to be a demolition hammer - it tends to break out the far side rather badly.
PoP
On 27 Nov 2003 04:49:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@uk2.net (Chris Holmes) wrote:

I suspect that you would find that the cast iron fitting in the floor goes a fairly short distance before connecting to a salt glaze earthenware pipe.
I have a downstairs cloakroom which has a plastic underground pipe leading down then away under the house - in effect a similar arrangement.
The original arrangement was a pan with rear outlet and an L-shaped adaptor going into the socket end of the pipe in the floor.
I added a basin and connected it in using a device called a collar boss. Marley make these and I got mine from B&Q. Part number is SCB41.
www.marleyalutec.co.uk then follow the soil and waste link and do a search.
You can see that this consists of a male spigot which goes into the socket in the floor and has a larger socket with bosses for waste pipes. These have plugs which punch out. There is a neoprene seal inside the top to accept either the pan outlet itself or an L-shaped adaptor.
I excavated the area of the floor around the pipe to accept the sloping part of the fitting so that the side bosses ended up quite close to the floor, mainly for neatness, but this is not essential.
Regarding making holes; if you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of masonry work then an SDS drill may well be a better and more flexible investment than hiring a core drill. You can buy a worthwhile branded one (e.g. Bosch) from under 100 - the cheap ones do not seem to last very well. If you are careful and drill from both sides, you can make a very neat hole, very quickly. A core drill will produce a really neat hole but takes time to do so.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:04:55 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

through even hard brick in a few minutes, best done form the outside to inside because the dust is substantial.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk