Wirefree house alarms

A division of Securicor does. A friend of mine designed it for them.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:36:56 +0100, "PJ" strung together this:

Well, they do but only when the option of wired is near impossible, which is hardly ever if you're any good at installing alarms.

Reply to
Lurch

Really struggling to see what people here have against wireless. Do you guys really still want to use CAT-5 for data for example ? Or corded earpieces on your hands-free phone ? Or co-ax to distribute television around the house ?

Almost all telcos and comms companies co-operated on standardisation committees working on wireless standards for most applications with the goal of removing all wiring, leaving eventually just a single fibre to the house and wireless links throughout.

And before somebody comments this doesn't work in their house, we have yet to find a location where twin diversity aerials with frequency hopping doesn't once set up right.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:13:32 +0100, "G&M" strung together this:

Don't start generalising, it'll only get out of hand. Its not a general go at wireless as such, its more a go at the current wireless products which arent as good as their wired counterparts. If there is a choice between the two, for security and reliability in security systems, I'd go for the wired but wireless technology in general isn't a bad thing and some security manufacturers are investing in making reliable wireless products, but not as much as wired. If we're talking general the same still applies to wireless networking as to security systems, a wired system is more reliable when installed properly as there are less external influences that can affect it.

Reply to
Lurch

"PJ" wrote in news:cd03eo$brt$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

Something isn't quite adding up for me. On the one hand you have several people who say good things based on their experience of wirefree, on the other you have those who say they are junk because the pros don't fit them.

Does anyone have a wirefree alarm of their own that causes the problems mentioned (false alarms mainly from what I can see)?

Perhaps its self fulfilling: wired alarms installed by pros properly = few false alarms, wireless alarms installed badly by diyers = many false alarms, and so the bad reputation continues

Boris

Reply to
Boris

2' stone walls - I can lose signal from my router, set to maximum output, about 5m away. Aforementioned wall, plus 2 stud walls, I can barely get a signal.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

2' stone walls - I can lose signal from my router, set to maximum output, about 5m away. Aforementioned wall, plus 2 stud walls, I can barely get a signal. Wired just works, and is some many times faster.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'd far rather trust a wirefree system. Which I do everyday. Same with typing this e-mail - I wouldn't trust a piece of wire not to fall out whilst I move the computer around.

Whilst I am sure there are good pros, I wonder how good most actually are. In an office I visited recently they had insisted on using conduit everywhere, making a right mess of the streamlined look of the place.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:38:26 GMT, Boris strung together this:

Think thats pretty much it, and that bad reputation is held by the end users so they aren't as easily sold as wired so less are fitted etc...

Reply to
Lurch

Oh no! Putting safety before apprerance - what is the world coming to?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sounds almost exactly the same as my house. Mobile phone signal really struggles to get through, Orange doesn't manage at all. But get the aerials in the right place and there's no problem. And remember if you have walls with high water content you need to use a 5 GHz system.

Unless you've installed Gigabit Ethernet or fibre that is actually unlikely. And since most homes have ADSL delivery at best, neither is needed.

But agree office environment needs wired.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:03:41 +0100, "G&M" strung together this:

Eh? You move your PCs around whilst typing e-mails? Theres still all the other cables that could fall out. Or do you mean a laptop? Even then, just because you've got wi-fi doesn't mean that it's more likely to work than a wired equivalent. If I take my laptop 100m down the road I don't think it'll work with wi-fi but it will with a wired network connection.

Well, that's not really made a mess because it's wired though has it? It looks a mess because someone has put up conduit everywhere which does look crap in an office. There's also the bad installer syndrome as well.

Reply to
Lurch

Not sure a burglar alarm constitutes safety.

And perhaps I'm wrong but I thought you owned an old listed building needing lime plaster and so on. No conservation officer worth his salt would allow the hacking about of the building to install a wired system, he'd insist on a wireless one.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:08:36 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

Have you any idea what you're on about?

Reply to
Lurch

Haven't got a network connection in the barn, or out in the fields. And if I did I'd bet the sheep would make sure it didn't quite soon. But 802.11 works just fine there.

Reply to
G&M

I've looked, and can't seem to find a suitable position. Orange is a joke, 900Mhz however works well.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 622Mbit fiber connection - if I win the lottery.

54G does not achieve quite 54Mbps, not to mention that it's half-duplex.

I want decent performance to be able to move video around rapidly, including several streaming webcams. I'm currently pulling cat5 cable, with a view to easily later being able to tie on cat6, and pull it through, if it's needed later.

My 10base-2 network is getting a bit annoyingly slow at times.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

er - me?

I wish. I live in an inter-war semi ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But I thought you were one of the resident experts on lime which usually indicates the above.

Reply to
G&M

Does DECT also have problems. If so you probably do have water in the walls (or unfortunately spaced metal studs :-). Try out a 5Ghz system and you might be pleasantly surprised. There are some dual systems around but none that autoswitch as far as I'm aware.

Which IP provider's going to want you as a customer then :-)

BT's installation of ADSL is generally 2Mbps downstream or less (NOT a technology limitation !). So any use of such rates is only internal. All the simulations show half-duplex is not a problem for almost every application except two : video conferencing and rendering engines.

That's probably managing 4Mbps at best. Even Bluetooth will beat that !

Reply to
G&M