Wireable 4mm socket

I'm trying to make my own wander lead out of surplus 1.5mm single-core. I've searched high and low but I can't find 4mm sockets that you can attach to the end of a cable. I can find several 4mm plugs though. Is 'socket' the wrong word to search for? They must exist, right?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

You mean the things we used to call banana plugs? I think you'll only find sockets that are meant to be mounted in a chassis. I've never seen one that attaches to the end of a cable.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

It is called a line socket. However, I'd just use a normal panel socket and a few layers of heatshrink according to the voltage you are using.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They're usually made up from extra-flexible cable (as used for test meter leads).

Some of the plugs have a socket in the rear - stackable type.

Only other option I can think of is to use a panel mounting socket and sleave it, with a rubber boot if you can find a small enough one, or heatshrink sleaving.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Monday 04 March 2013 10:42 Georg von Krapp wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yep - I could only find chassis sockets (and banana plug = 4mm plug).

I soldered my wander lead onto the scoket and covered in heatshrink and it works well enough on a fee lead.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I just use chassis ones, and insulate the ends with heat shrink sleeving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CN06233/CN06234

Reply to
Bob Eager

They must exist somewhere - since I have a test meter extension lead that has a flying socket on one end...

John Rumm

For maximum utility, try using female-female connectors:

Terry Fields

On Monday 04 March 2013 12:04 Terry Fields wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Err that's a phono, not a banana...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I misread that as "a phone, not a banana"

On the other hand:

Bob Eager

On Monday 04 March 2013 13:00 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want one :L

Reply to
Tim Watts

whisky-dave

Using a banana as a female - female connector?? I'm sure I've seen a film about that!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Doh! So they are...but banana/4mm female/female connectors are about, I've a small number here. Great for extending cable runs. Mine came from RS about 25 years ago.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Somewhere I have one or two "female" wander plugs but not in banana plug size. The wander plug was a bit smaller than the banana plug - possibly 1/8" diameter and normaly of "split pin" construction.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or if nothing else is to hand, SO239 female/female RF adaptors will accept

4mm/banana plugs.
Reply to
198 kHz

Andy Wade

Purrfect! Thanks. I knew they had to exist.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

"If I were a rich man, a yada dada dada daaa.."

The proper leads cost about £50. I wondered why, given the cost of cable. Now it makes sense. I'll slum it with my homemade one for the moment.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison