Wire width for a socket ring main

Hi,

I have a ring main in my kitchen for 7 double sockets. I want to add a spur from 2 of the existing sockets to generate 2 new double sockets which will be in a better position for my new fitted kitchen. My question is what width should the T&E be for the spurs?

Thank you,

James

Reply to
JGralton

"Width" seems an odd way of describing T&E, but....

The correct size of T&E for such a spur is 2.5sq mm. You are only allowed one double socket per spur (which sounds like what you are proposing).

It's in a kitchen so (I think) Part P applies, if that worries you.

Reply to
tinnews

Thank you,

Yes sorry not sure why width jumped > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
JGralton

Slightly off topic.

Part of the definition of a kitchen for part P is that it is a room containing a sink. So would removing the sink before rewiring and replacing it afterwards let you out of the requirment for notification.? :-)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Slightly off topic.

Part of the definition of a kitchen for part P is that it is a room containing a sink. So would removing the sink before rewiring and replacing it afterwards let you out of the requirment for notification.? :-)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

On 27 Oct 2006 06:27:28 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this:-

The answer to your question is, it depends.

It depends on a whole host of factors which are listed in the Wiring Regulations and related documents. They can also be found by using a search engine on this group.

As a guide, assuming the original ring main was installed correctly it is likely that the size of cable used for that will be suitable for your two spurs. This may well be 2.5mm squared, but that can only be determined by looking at your kitchen.

Reply to
David Hansen

My utility room contains the old kitchen sink. Would part P apply there?

(it was installed under building control before part P, but I may want to alter things.)

Reply to
<me9

What are the other parts of the definition?

Reply to
marvelus

  1. For the purposes of this Schedule -

"kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

(as amended by
Section 20)]
Reply to
Andy Wade

Not unless there are also "food preparation facilities."

Actually Part P *applies* to *all* electrical work in a dwelling, what you mean is "is the work notifiable?"

Reply to
Andy Wade

Which means most kitchens cease being kitchens for the period between gutting the old one, and finishing the new one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Now there's an interesting point...

Reply to
Andy Wade

There aren't, so it doesn't. Good.

True. For what I'm proposing it will anyway. whether it is notified is another matter.

I suopose I'll have to get access to a Robin (or similar tester) as I no longer have access to one at work.

I suppose I could get one on Ebay, and sell it on afterwards forabout the same as it costs. Cheaper than hiring.

Reply to
<me9

Of course a tin plate and a Swiss army knife could be construed as "food preperation facilites" - that's what I use when I'm backpacking.

Problem with buying second hand is calibration. Recalibration can cost nearly as much as hiring.

Reply to
dcbwhaley