Wire Rope Locks

Anyone know where I can get a wire rope type lock - sort of thing used for bicycles - but longer.

I've seen plenty 1.8m long, but I need 2.5m min. Can't really be arsed to make up a wire rope & use a padlock.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not use a wire rope sling used on lifting gear? Then all you have to do is add a padlock to the loops.

A list of suppliers can be found here,

Don Spumey

I make mine, by silver-soldering ends on to exactly the length I need. Having exactly the right length (i.e. no free loops) makes them rather more secure. Even then they're not up to a high-security task.

Plastic sheathed chain is much more secure.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is this to secure the ladders on the van, Dave ?

Dave

Reply to
gort

Screwfix sell (sold) them. I bought one to fasten my trailer to the BFO tree next to it.

[Clickety, clickety, click]

you go. 9M braided security cable with loops.

Reply to
Huge

Exactly what I want - almost :-)

12mm cables much too big :-(
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Don, but I should have specified the size! I'm looking for thin wire maybe 2mm?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

There must be a chandlers near you - drop in and ask them to swage thimble loops on the end of a bit of wire rope they'll also supply you with. Thread it through some plastic pipe first if it isn't already plastic coated.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was going to suggest that too. For other country dwellers, Countrywide and other farm shops often keep a range of smaller wire rope, plus the eyes and swage fittings which you can clamp up with a mole or a big vice.

Reply to
Newshound

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Ah, this'll tickle you. I got a spam a while ago from a Mediterranean food company, plugging food prepared "The Mediterrean way" whose website was

and their tagline was "Taste the medway".

Reply to
Guy King

Damn. Sorry.

Reply to
Huge

My local Focus sells plastic covered wire rope by the metre. That do?

Reply to
Huge

Is that going to slow the tea leaves down much? Make sure your own bolt cutters or similar are not sitting on a van shelf or in an insecure box...

I think you intend to thread this through the handles of power tool boxes. One cut and they have all of 'em. Might be better to have shorter individual loops. They then have to cut each one, which takes time. You are also much more likely to put the single loop back on when you return a tool to the van than thread/unthread through the handles each time. Visit a proper locksmith to get a number of padlocks with the same key profile so you don't have to have a huge bunch of keys.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The 12mm ones only take a minute with a carbide disk in a battery drill.

Reply to
dennis

I know from the other repsonses it's not what you're after, but (for completeness) masterlock make (and B+Q sell) bike locks with a replaceable cable - I've got 2 and 5m cables for mine.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Not at all. What I want is a bike lock with a 5m cable. I could only find

1.8m Masterlock in my local B&Q Depot.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

mine's about 10mm thick - hence the "not what you're after".

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I found a 4.5 ish (might even be 5)metre cable with weather-proof padlock in our local Homebase. £15

Ideal for locking my trailer to a handy tree and a far better solution than the rubbish bit of chain I had before.

Cable is about 8mm plastic coated and coils up pretty small.

Reply to
unknown