Wiping down tiles

That's a reasonable guess and no one working on a job would want it. That's why I didn't scrutinise or comment in any way whatsoever while the builders were working but left all liaison to the project supervisor.

However when I look at the end result I am presented with, I now start asking questions. Maybe I should have made more of a nuisance of myself at the time rather than letting them get on with it. :-)

Reply to
pamela

OK, so - as a proxy for you in the tasks you find too difficult - they could have given the tiles that quick wipe-over just as easily as the cleaner you suggest you hired especially to do that.

I think that the root cause of the problem here is just one of communication. The tiler _should_ have explained to you that it would require a quick wipe-over to get rid of the last residue once it had dried more fully.

Reply to
Adrian

You wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the top of my list...

Reply to
Adrian

Phew!

I've got to admit I would be uneasy if someone, as I did, turned up in a newsgroup and started asking about technical flaws in work done under a grant. My instincts would say they are being ungrateful but I hope people can see that's not true.

I too would probably also jump to the conclusion that if someone can post lucidly here then they could do a desk job rather than slouch around proclaiming their disability.

To be honest, if the docs can find a cure for my illnesses I would want to be back in work in a flash (assuming I can find something) even though I am approaching retirement age. I like work because it gives purpose and a sense of achievement as well as an income and social standing.

Reply to
pamela

I think you're right. It probably is a question of expectations.

I don't want to have unreasonable expectations which can't be met and which upsets everyone. At the same time I don't want to accept, through my ignorance, substandard workmanship.

I wish I had known the grout residue could be wiped off and buffed because then I wouldn't have suggested to my cleaner the slower approach of hosing with the shower and wet wiping it.

Reply to
pamela

This is it in a nutshell. Grout looks awful until it's buffed. I use a kitchen towel, that's how easily it is removed from tile faces, but only when dry. That said, it's designed to dry pretty damned quickly

Reply to
stuart noble

All that does is leave another powdery residue

I've just tiled two walls and used an old towel (dry) for the final polish. a 2.5x2.5 metre wall took around 5 minutes

Reply to
alan_m

You should have told them how to do their job from day one to make sure that the job was done properly:-)

Reply to
ARW

pamela scribbled

WTF has this to do with DIY. You're done sod all and paid sod all. If you'd put in as much effort cleaning as complaining, the job would be finished.

I'm sure the builders and the council are pleased to see the back of you and your family.

Reply to
Jonno

If *you* paid for the work you are entitled to your silly nit picking moan. If you got a *grant* you are entitled to what *you* paid for.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ah, so Pamela is moaning about something she got for nothing then. I was going to tell her to f*ck off, stand on her own two feet and stop sponging. But, I won't do that as I'm a polite person.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I guess this thread is a bit long and you missed the bit where I said we paid ?700 in advance for the majority of the tiling work. It was agreed this non-grant work was to be done to the same standards as the grant work.

As it happens, the grant is paid to the recipients and it is they who engage the builder and pay him. In another thread we discussed the relatively higher than usual likelihood of repaying the grant in this case. Perhaps you missed that too.

If you find my comments silly or not to your liking then you are free to killfile me.

Reply to
pamela

pamela scribbled

Oh poor cleaner. Does she have to avert her eyes, bow & curtsey when you're around? Enter and exit your palace using the tradesman's entrance?

Let's hope they've cashed it. I've met your sort. Any excuse to stop payment.

You need counselling and this isn't the place to get it. All you've done since arriving her is whine and accuse other posters of trolling. Sorry Eric, you've been found out. Fuck off and take your sob story with you.

Reply to
Jonno

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire writes

I don't think the above is correct. When any job is paid for, the source of the payment is irrelevant. In this case, the builder has been (or will be) paid for a job of work. Whether all or part of the funds come from a home owner, a tenant, the LA, a grant or anywhere else really does not matter.

Reply to
News

Somebody does, and it's not Pamela.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm slowly coming round to seeing who in this group posts gratuitous insults. Judging by his recent posts, "Jonno" is one.

I don't know he behaves like a juvenile getting a kick from making people angry. Lately he's been posting after the pubs shut. Perhaps he can't hold his drink.

I'm sure he'll now want to dazzle us all by making some inane comment about what I have written about him.

To be honest, I've been round the block too many times to worry about such people.

Reply to
pamela

Or you could use a killfile...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think "Mr Pounder" is being deliberately contentious once again.

I don't know why I replied to him. I guess I got drawn in by his openly provocative statement. Shows how good a troll he is. I'm going to have to be more careful!

Reply to
pamela

Ooh - I wish I'd said that! :-D

J.