Wine & Washing Machines

Only if it's Austrian wine of a certain vintage....

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Ah, Hirondelle - never been cold since :-)

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Can't see any problems with a washing machine, but have you considered the water pipes and central heating system? If there is a central heating system, why not time it to activate at a low temperature for an hour twice a day.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

To drain a washing machine completely, locate the pump (lowest part of the machine) and disconnect the in and out pipes (taking care to catch/mop up the water). You can take the top and back off, or just lay the machine on its side and get at it from underneath.

However I would have thought that frost damage was unlikely - the hoses are flexible and there is loads of play in the pump.

Also the acids in the wine are likely to do more damage than frost.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Can't see any problems with a washing machine, but have you considered the water pipes and central heating system? If there is a central heating system, why not time it to activate at a low temperature for an hour twice a day.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Actually it was Italian wine that was found to be fortified with antifreeze

-- Alan G "The corporate life [of society] must be subservient to the lives of the parts instead of the lives of the parts being subservient to the corporate life." (Herbert Spencer)

Reply to
AlanG

I have to leave a washing machine in an unheated house over the winter.

I am unsure how to drain it completely.

If I emptied a glass or two of wine into it would this serve as a protective anti-freeze ?

Reply to
Leslie Harrison

In message , AlanG writes

... And the Po ran red

IIRC they have both been found out using glycol

Reply to
geoff

Even better would be a frost thermostat. That way it would override the time control to bring the heating on whenever the temperature got into the danger zone.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

It would make for an amusing posting next spring, when you have to ask how to recover all your white shirts which you just washed in red wine...

Reminds me of something I heard on the radio just recently... Couple away on holiday but due home. Mother-in-law decides it would be a nice idea to have dinner ready for them on their return home, so pops round to their house with a pie and puts the oven on heat up. When the oven is up to temperature, she opens the door to put the pie in, only to find that this is where they had each hidden their laptops whilst they were away on holiday...

Looking in my hotpoint drum (which is impossible to avoid at the moment as machine's in bits all over the kitchen;-), the drum outlet seems to be raise deliberately higher than the well containing the heating element, so the drum would never be completely emptied.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It is not necessary to drain the machine. I kept mine in an unheated outhouse for months and it worked just fine several times a week.

Reply to
oldmolly

California Chardonnay is good for this and in windscreen washer bottles.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall