Windows replacing: needed scaffolding?

Hi, I am thinking of replacing my windows with double glazed PVC. As my flat is on the second floor, I would like to know if for this kind of work scaffolding is needed or can the windows be fitted from the inside of the flat. Please can someone give some advice as some window companies say scaffolding is needed and some say it is not. Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Gianfra

You can do most of the work from the inside, however its hard to tidy up and make neat hangining out of a window. A scafold tower would be good

Rick

Reply to
Rick

They are probably both right. Some windows and/or installers can work from the inside, and some can't.

[Istr if the actual glazing is fitted from the inside, it is more secure. Internally beaded, I think it's called.]
Reply to
John Laird

If a company is doing it it should not matter to you, just go with the best quote.

For a second floor installation, I would expect a company to require scaffold for H&S reasons. But it is possible to DIY from inside and finish off outside with a ladder.

As this is a flat, have you checked with the management company and considered any implications to the service charge or lease?

dg

Reply to
dg

Hi,

Go to a local decent hire shop and hire a tower. Various sizes and prices.

I once did a 4 storey block of flats on a 16ft X 4ft tower.

Reply to
YTC449

I'd second that.

Most of the companies I've seen just use a ladder. Even third floor installs I've seen done with a ladder. I suspect the installers aren't fussed about H&S.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

With purpose built flats window replacement usually comes under buiding works i.e. done by the landlord and added to your service charge (with a

100% markup for administration costs of course). Apart from the making good round the frame, I can't see you really need access from the outside. Until the glass goes in, you have plenty of room to hang out with a mastic gun but the bit under the sill might be tricky.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have access to a set of ladders with a walkway attachment. Two man lift into position, as effective as scaffolding but a fraction of the cost to use, takes thirty minutes to erect or dismantle instead of scaffolding taking most of a day. I also have access to a scaffold tower, not as quick as the ladders but much cheaper.

My local roofing company cannot use either solution due to H&S rules and their company policy.

Different companies, different application of the rules.

But go with the best 'total' quote.

Dave

Reply to
someone here

Done that myself. With a bit of thinking about it afterwards I wont be doing it again.

NT

Reply to
meow2222