Windows 8 trial

I wasted over an hour downloading this trial on my other PC. I have decided I do not now want it, but it doesn't tell me how to revert to the original XP ! Anyone know how ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

did you partition the disk first, or just overwrite xp? if you just overwrote XP you may be in trouble!

Reply to
Allan Mac

The instructions didn't mention partitioning the disk - it implied it was just a temporary installation. And it certainly didn't mention overwriting XP.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Your XP (and data you had stored on the hard disk) is toast :-(

Backup?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you be more specific about the "trial" you downloaded? I ask as Windows releases do not usually allow you to revert and I'd be very surprised if you can now. And MS usually make this pretty clear. Eg the Windows 8 release preview carries a pretty clear warning:

"Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows."

Reply to
Robin

I don't think you can without reinstalling it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes windows 8 even calls some of its messages toasts I see..

Normally, if you want it to not be permanent, you need to install as a multi boot system when it shoves in another partition and makes one primary.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup, that was almost word for word what they put in the last version as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Android calls little pop-up messages toasts, don't think I heard the term used before that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

before you do, try linux mint. It makes windows look pointless.

NT

Reply to
NT

It still won't talk to my Windows based mobile phone or the decent soundcard, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

Cue lots of variations of the standard reply:

"Install Linux

Reply to
Bob Eager

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

If that doesn't work then try an angle grinder or duct tape

Reply to
The Other Mike

Here we go again. A totally pointless response to the question.

Maybe Linux comes with a requirement for users to churn out this answer at every opportunity.

km

Reply to
km

Mint doesn't work very well on my touch screen tablet. I don't think the multi touch screen or digitiser work well under any linux system.

Reply to
dennis

Its a natural response, they have to try and justify their choice and getting others to use it is the best justification they can manage.

Reply to
dennis

There does not seem to be any way back. Luckily I have laptops and another PC with most of the things I need to keep on them. But it has been interesting to see what Windows 8 is like - a kiddies picture book is the best description I can think of. Presumably Microsoft have decided to dumb down their OSs to match the trend in western educational standards. I'll be staying with XP pro as long as possible.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

i guess that's why android - the most popular os for mobile devices - is linux, then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't that what Unity (in the Ubuntu stream since 11.04) is supposed to address ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Let me get this right. Microsoft have given you a Windows 8 trial that will at some point expire. At this point you either have to pay for the release version or your PC will be useless because there is no facility for returning to XP. Nice.

Reply to
Andrew May