Windows 10 upgrade

I've installed and used every version since 3.1 (on 22 floppies if I remember correctly) except Windows 2000 (don't know what happened there) and had no problems with any of them. Now on Win 10 preview

10158, which is OK except for minor issues with a couple of programs.
Reply to
Peter Johnson

In message , at 07:52:26 on Tue, 30 Jun

2015, Scott M remarked:

That's easy (and the same is true of iPhones and Android). It's because the software applications industry isn't very good at backwards compatibility and increasingly insists you have the latest (or almost latest) OS.

Only yesterday I installed an app which *requires* iOS 8.3, for example.

And while you can run Office 365 on Android, you need 4.4.x, which is a shame because my tablet was originally supplied with 4.1 and the last official update was 4.3

Reply to
Roland Perry

Here's one reason why not:

Unless you specifically tell it not to it will share your wifi key with all your Skype and Outlook contacts and Facebook friends.

And all their contacts and friends...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Windows Phone8.1 already does that, I had to pick my jaw off the floor when I heard, thankfully it doesn't do WPA-enterprise, just WPA-personal, but still ...

Is that new for Win10? I don't think Phone8.1 goes that far ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think Vista was much maligned. It settled down after a short period and I used it for years and found it perfectly stable. I think it fell victim to the internet chatterbots.

Much like the Idrive BMW introduced. Every fool in the world was an expert but I never met an antagonist who had actually tried it.

Funny other car manufacturers followed suit. So much for internet wisdom

Reply to
fred

Maybe, but my XP did everything I needed and I didn't want the learning curve.

I'm still wondering what Windows 8 or 10 will offer me beyond Windows 7.

Reply to
Fredxxx

One reason Vista got a lot of stick was that it enforced guidelines produced by MS c.2000 - things like programs not having write access to Program Files. I'll confess that we had to fix some issues that first surfaced with Vista - our fault, but you can understand people saying "it works on all our other computers but not this one so it must be a Vista problem".

That said, Vista is best forgotten: Windows 7 is a class act and notable for being the first Windows release to need less machine resources than its predecessor.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reply to
Ronnie

Thanks for the link but not sure if I found it much help.

If I had a Windows phone I could see the attraction. Having a phone with a Symbian operating system with all the shit Microsoft have piled onto existing Nokia customers in crippling their phones, the OS my future phone will run will not be Windows purely out of principle.

I don't see any advantage in that slide show of moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Reply to
Fredxxx

It seems that it does not share further a shared wifi password. The risk is if you gave your wifi password to a guest manually, who typed it in, and they inadvertently share it because they do not know about the new system, which is enabled by default.

The justification is that the new system is safer than telling your guest the password and them writing it down, passing it on, etc. since with wifisense they never see it.

But its not safer than you typing it in for them, is it ?

Also the password may be stored encrypted in MS servers, but it will have to be decrypted at some point to be used as the key for connecting the other computer - it must be in memory on the other computer. So a hacker will find a way of exposing it.

If the system required both computers to be in range of the network at the same time, the key would not need to be stored with MS - a password exchange protocol could be used. So I assume you do not both need to be there at the same time.

I don't think MS have revealed the full protocol for security analysts to look at. But it sounds like a risk to me.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

I don't know if this will carry over to the released version, but it's not enabled, by default or otherwise, on my test version (10162).

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

I checked here, on build 10130 still. It was enabled, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enabled it on installation.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Chris French writes

What is now even more worrying is that yesterday it was definitely not enabled. After a restart this morning, it is enabled.

I definitely made no changes overnight, except switching off and on again, and I have "Fast Startup" on, so the machine hasn't even done a full restart.

Reply to
Bill