Window sills

Can anyone give me some advice on how to repair a rotten window sill "corner" on a timber conservatory. I have had to cut out the whole corner and it looks a complete mess regards Sherlock

Reply to
steven holmes

There are various resin based repair methods. One that has been the subject of discussion over on Period Property UK forum recently is from Window Care Anglia

the thread at

biff

I've repaired plenty of exterior woodwork with car body filler, which you can either buy cheaply from any car paint trade counter, or pay the earth for if it's marketed as 2 part wood filler. Works best if you nail strips of wood to the existing structure as a former and smear them with vaseline or similar as a release agent. Stick a few long screws in as reinforcement on sills etc. Sculpt it with a knife or chisel before it hardens completely to leave as little sanding as possible. Not unlike dentistry really. I use scraps of hardboard to mix and apply, so you can dump the whole thing after every application. Trying to re-use anything always proves a waste of time for me. Bear in mind that the more you mix up, the more heat it generates and the faster it hardens, so damned near impossible stuff to work with on a hot day. Thin layers always take much longer to harden, but always do eventually.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi all. I have some fairly ugly stone window sills at the back of my house. So I'm thinking of replacing them if I can get them done cheap enough. I imagine there are reconsituted stone products out there. But I don't know where to look.

Anyone know any suppliers?

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Try inputting "UK architectural 'reconstituted stone' " into Google and watch with amazement as hundreds of UK based reconstituted-stone manufacturers, retailers and suppliers are listed - _you_ could also restrict the search criteria with your location.

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You could always do some in place formwork and pour concrete. Cost is a few quid for wood, cement, sand and aggregate.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

. Thanks.

How could I ensure a smooth finish?

I want to have a more modern look so I'm thinking..flat profile, bull nose profile, 3" height.

Question : In general do the old stone sills extend to the 'back brick' or only the 'front brick'?

Reply to
Davao

Why are they "ugly"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Maybe not ugly. More..useless as they have a steep slope to them and their appearance have not dated well.

Reply to
Davao

Got a pic? Perhaps they could be renovated? Curious about your "handle" (Davao), too.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Use flat shuttering. Use various mouldings to get roundover bullnose profiles to the edges. Put something in the bottom to form a drip groove. The concrete will be smooth to the shuttering. The cement and sand will fill the gaps, pushing the aggregate into the middle. Keep some concrete materials for after the shuttering is removed. There may be some small air pockets that need filling afterwards.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Davao City. Retirement destination. Mindanao region of the Philippines. My pension will support a family there. No garuantee of that here. Well away from this going down the tubes suffocating dump called UK.

Will send a jpg pic of the sill any time you want.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

You're supposed to upload to a web or ftp site and post a link here.

Reply to
Rob Morley