Window seal channel

On some 40 to 30 year old hardwood windows, I noticed channels in the sides of the opening parts of the windows. They look like provision for seals. Someone was telling me they are to allow water to run down to the bottom of the window frames and run out.

Any window experts around? If they are, or not, for seals can seals be inserted and what type of seals?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If they are narrow grooves not much bigger than a sawcut, then they were probably meant for seals - a number of manufacturers offered the same windows in standard and high-performance versions.

If they are wider, they are there as an anti-capillary gap and, as you suggest, to allow any water that blows in to drain out.

Reply to
Tony Bryer