window repair

Hello,

We have got a bit of gale blowing around a window. I'm sure I saw in Screwfix some replacement black foam tape that you fit inside the frame to exclude draughts. the thing is, now I come to look for it I can't find it!

Please can someone tell me what it's called? If I knew the proper name, I'm sure a search would find it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sam

Sorry to reply to myself. I have found them in the door furniture page, page 211. They are under "weather strip". The thing is there are a few to choose from; which should I use? There are two called "weather strip" and one called "dry glaze"; what's that?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sam

'Dry glaze' sounds like a double sided glazing tape, whereas 'weather strip' should be single sided and thicker, so I'd go for the latter.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks. So is dry glaze to put between the panes of glass in double glazing then?

Reply to
Sam

I take it you mean this stuff:

The description is a bit confusing, it *looks* like it only has adhesive on one side so would be OK as weatherstrip.

Glazing tape is usually strong double sided tape for fixing and sealing window units or glass in the frame.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Glazing tape is resilient foam tape, often multiridged (to improve the seal) with adhesive on one side used to install single glazing panes or double glazed units with glazing beads. You apply lengths to the frame and to the glazing beads then mount the pane or DG unit sandwiched between the seals.

Security glazing tape is resilient foam tape with adhesive on both sides used to install single glazing panes or double glazed units in a frame whilst resisting removal by burglars. Still needs single sided glazing tape to seal the glazing beads although some would use a bead of silicone for this.

Draught excluding foam tapes are more compressible than glazing tapes and will conform to gaps of varying thickness without making a door or window too difficult to close.

In short, use the weatherstrip.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will use the weather strip but was just wondering what the other one was for reference!

Reply to
Sam

No problem, if you haven't seen/used them before then asking is the way to find out :-)

Reply to
fred