Window Pane Cracking

| Pinot Grigio wrote: | > A large double-glazed window has developed a crack from one corner about 12 | > inches toward the centre of the window. | > | > The heat and cold is making the crack grow longer. | > | > What can I do to stop the crack travelling further. Cellotape probably | > won't work because of condensation. | > I can't get the window fixed for at least 6 weeks. | > | > | As I wrote earlier, forget the crack, do not drill a stop hole, as you | might end up with one pane of glass in bits. Drilling a hole will | accelerate the misting between the two panes. | | 6 weeks is a short time in a double glazed unit.

Agreed Leaving it for six weeks will cause *no* problems.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Don't woory about it at all.

Just tape the sections together to stop them falling out. The actual crack will not make the window hugely more inefficient as insulation, and in 6 weeks its going to be replaced anway.

Have a whisky and stop worrying.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's a large window and the crack is propagating slowly (as mine did exactly the same as yours) it's almost certainly laminated and will be fine left alone until fixed - nothing should fall out.

Reply to
Bob Mannix