Windolene

I'm trying to get some of the Windolene that dries white on glass. This is to act as curtains whilst I refurb the room. Seems that the supermarkets don't do it. Does it still exist?

mark

Reply to
mark

it sure does.

Anyway go to a chandlers for it.

Reply to
George

The bigger ones still sell it round here

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This is something I could do with but haven't seen in the shops. What is it called - is it Windolene xyz or is it another make? .

Reply to
John Evans

Just plain old WINDOLENE, the Home&Bargain stores do it as do any chandlers possibly poundland?

Reply to
George

I couldn't find any when I wanted some last. The guardian did very nicely though. :)

Reply to
Mogga

The message from "mark" contains these words:

I would use epsom salts, applied with a damp cloth.

It dries out like 'frost patterns'. Mum used to do it in the summertime, when we were wee, and we could never work out how Jack Frost could be around when the weather was so hot.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

But you're supposed to use whiting for that, aren't you?

(You have to look for it on porpoise.)

Reply to
Rod

Any horticultural / green house place should have glass whitening - it's used to protect plants from sunlight.

Builders merchants should have it for house/shopfitting but I can't think what it's called to hunt for it on screwfix

Owain

(Hopefully back after a sabbatical, using Thunderbird on Ubuntu)

Reply to
Owain

Thanks folks. Now that I know that it exists I shall make a more determined search. Where would I get epson salts, I quite like that idea!

mark

Reply to
mark

Speaking as someone who doesn't close the curtains in the living room even when I'm living in it, I have to say I'm curious as to why people are so coy about what they get to up to when they're in there decorating! Maybe your approach decorating is much more interesting than mine?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

================================== The whiting is used as a safety measure to make sure the glass is visible.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I don't want people looking round when I am not there. The house will unoccupied until I've renovated, decorated and generally made it habitable. I have tools etc., that may breach the temptation threshold of those that shouldn't be looking in the window. I'm not coy!

mark

Reply to
mark

Epsom salts.

Epson salts are used for cleaning printheads ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How does that work?

Does it work on Epson's?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Actually, people used to recommend US window cleaner Windex for Epson print heads. (Contains ammonia and other things - can't remember what.)

Reply to
Rod

Fair enough, although disappointingly non-scandalous. If someone was tempted to steal the motley old collection of paint-stained junk that makes up my decorating toolkit they would likely be desperate enough to steal the windows out of their frames anyway.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Well, I discovered a long time ago that paint cleans much more easily from skin than it does from clothes... I leave you to draw your own conclusions! ;-))

Reply to
Anne Jackson

The message from "mark" contains these words:

Epsom, dear! Think 'horse racing' not 'printers'!

Try Boots - or any other half-decent chemist?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

In that case put old curtains up when you leave.

Reply to
George