Wind problems with my passage

It can get very gusty in the passage between our house and next door.

I have seen strips of black plastic in a frame used as windbreaks/plant protection which allegedly give some of the benefits of a greenhouse.

Would something similar (to fence top level perhaps) act as a partial windbreak or is tinkering with the air flow between two buildings asking for trouble?

Cheers

LGC

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'm sorry, but I really had to laugh at your subject line :-) dfrog

Reply to
dfrog

ditto! ROTFL...

My nan always used to have problems with her windy passage.

Ooh errr missus.

Reply to
deano

David WE Roberts :

Mike Barnes

Enough with the double entendr=E9s ;)

Seriously... without knowing your exact situation, any number of factors could be making your passage windy (I said enough!) If you live in a Cul de sac for instance, wind will try and get out between each house (my dad's house suffers from this). If you think the wind is coming from your garden, then maybe you can try and defeat it with wind breaks but it would probably be trial and error and may not resolve the problem.

You can get screens like this...

may help, but if the wind is coming down from up high and is funneled between the walls then you could be fighting a losing battle.

Good luck.

Reply to
deano

Anything that will damp the airflow can help. Trellis, shrubs, whatever.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

To expand a little - I live in a 3 bed semi and the gap is the drive up the side of the house, which is completely paved. Therefore I need something light and removeable which can nevertheless be used to reduce the wind flow. There is a gate at the front which reduces the wind somewhat (it is windier with the gate open) but I am looking for something to use at the back to reduce the flow of wind still further. I would prefer something which is not a solid block, but lets some light through. This is why I thought of the plastic strips used in agriculture.

This morning's Google shows, top of the list, this thread via

> Newsgroup Archive > DIY Newsgroups > UK DIY

shows various kinds of plastic screening produced by a Chinese company but no UK contacts. Interestingly it also shows a Google Map of Palo Alto with links to plastic, black dating, wind, and black women. Sounds like my kind of party, but why Palo Alto? Original search string was "black plastic strip wind break green house"

Some options here:

was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar problems, and if so how they had tackled it. And also, if the method they tried made things better, worse, or just made no difference.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

m.net> Newsgroup Archive > DIY Newsgroups > UK DIY

I'm not sure there's really much to ask. Its inevitable that covering one end with mesh of any kind is going to reduce windflow.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Use a cheapo tarp or plastic dustsheet for now, secured with battens, and if it improves things then splash the cash and go for something nicer looking.

I still think the reed type screenings are your best option... Plastic sheeting for the long term conjures up images of Steptoe's yard!

Deano.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

*I'm not sure there's really much to ask. Its inevitable that covering *one end with mesh of any kind is going to reduce windflow.

It will reduce wind flow in the immediate vicinity. However the wind is still going to go somewhere. This is why the wind generally speeds up through gaps between buildings - the same amount of air through a much narrower space. The way a river speeds up through a gorge then slows down across the plains. IIRC Essex University had to abandon their plans for an extra building on campus because of the danger of generating unacceptably high winds when combined with the existing buildings.

So my concern is where the extra wind will go. For instance, if I block the passage up to the top of the ground floor, presumably there will be a stronger wind along the first floor and eaves. Also, a stronger wind down my neigbour's side. There could also be more turbulence when the compressed air expands again, which in turn could cause more problems than the barrier solved.

As suggested elsewhere I could put up a tarp or similar, but this does not conform to my proposed design - a permeable barrier which lets air through to reduce the wind speed without imposing too much strain on the barrier and lets light through so that there isn't too much gloom generated in the side passage.

I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered the problem, and if so what they had done to resolve (or fail to resolve) it.

Looks like I am the only one worrying about this - being on the East Coast does mean we have quite a lot of wind from time to time.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The classic way to break wind up is through turbulence, and foliage is as good as it gets..the plastic mesh with about 50/50 hole/solid is pretty good, but boy is it ugly!

The wind does NOT go somewhere else IF the energy is dissipated into noise and heat!

Buildings are bad because they don't create the same level of diffused turbulence.

I would suggest a 5-7ft high hedge that blocks the passage at both ends with entrance via a sort of maze.

i.e. Boundary wall

***XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*** *** *** *** *** *** H Passage *** *** e *** H *** d *** e *** g *** d *** e XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX *** g *** X X *** e *** X House X *** *** X X *** X X X X
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher