Wind output reaches new low..

Well I am gradually coming around to that view, ...but here its more that windpower is the massive fraud.

If you gave got good hydro, there is a good chance you can replace coal with wind to an extent.

Solar is a waste of time, trust me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you will find that its a theoretical maximum of that particular technology.

In the same way a steam turbine at normal temperatures maxes out at about 36%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. The earth is cooling..but that, and a bit of nuclear reaction, keeps it a bit warmer than it would otherwise be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another quite recent 'static' application of compressed air is for maintaining low voltage DC backup supplies at UK transmission voltage substations that have traditionally used compressed air as the insulation / operation medium.

The Other Mike

I understood it, but you are, as ever, talking bollocks.

No you didn't you waffled about "low hanging fruit" and apparently you don't consider open cast coal or existing oil wells to be "low hanging" despite the fact that the investment has already been made and returned.

Bollocks.

Bollocks. I'm an advocate of nuclear, but hydro is cheaper and it's well past time the Thames and Severn Barrages were built.

It must be wrong then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Waving your arms around while talking bollocks is calle Testiculating.

Just thought I'd add that 'cos I couldn't be arsed to follow what is becoming an incresingly silly thread.

Reply to
Skipweasel

[...]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

yeah why NOT wreck a bit more landscape at enormous cost and for f*ck all national benefit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By 'right now' I presume you mean this afternoon, and you are right it is a problem. What I was suggesting was that battery and storage technology will likely make it less of a problem.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

well, either way, it was enough to give a moon beyond the orbit of Jupiter a molten core. I remember being fascinated when I learned of it, as it hints that it's possible life could develop independently of solar energy ...

Reply to
Jethro

One presumes that you know (0) about batteries then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, because mud is do attractive and cheap electricity is never needed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm sure that if you try you can come up with a reason. Try not to make emotive appeals about shitehawks when you do.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Since if you read above you would see I stated that I know little about the technology we can make a few more presumptions about your character and attitude - that you can't be bothered to read a whole thread but like zoom in to call people ignorant for a laugh. I know your game though, sonny. You won't wind me up.

Hang about - Steve Firth? I know that name. Are you the well know usenet-obsessed big-mouth and know-all? Not _the_ Steve Firth? Welcome to uk.diy. We are honoured.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Not so much expansion/contraction as distortion due to tidal effects.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Watchet harbour - once a natural indentation in the Bristol Channel coastline with the tide washing in and out twice a day, a little river running out through it and semi protected by 19th century moles. 10 yrs ago it was decided to put a barrage across the mouth of the harbour to hold enough water in the harbour for boats to stay afloat even at low tide when the sea has gone out half a mile. So while previously the harbour water was in constant motion and emptied completely every tide now the water is held in on every tide and fresh silt precipitates out onto the harbour floor where it sits as mud. Consequently within weeks of the marina opening it had filled with mud and the boats in it were even more stranded than they had been before. Nobody had predicted this, although it seems obvious in retrospect.

The moral is that if you mess with the flow of the currents and the level of the tide in the massive silty estuary which is the Bristol Channel the results will be totally unpredictable, but most likely a lot of mud accumulating, possibly total irreversible ruination of the seascape, landscape and intertidal environment and conceivably desastrous effects on the low lying land on both sides which is below sea level for part of each day.

Anyone who tells you they know what the effect of a barrage will be is a liar or a fool.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Actually worse than that. You build the barrage right the way across, then you realise that above the barrage it is filling with mud, so you are never going to get any payback and you have to pay to demolish the thing as well.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Yeees!

Reply to
Skipweasel

Agree with this. And, en plus, you've got to build the *whole* *thing* before you get any payback.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

'Twas a cold freezing calm night.. Not a breath of wind stirred the dank fog..

OK .. so under these conditions I presume the coal will suffice?..

Reply to
tony sayer