Wind not good for wind farms...

Think of all that scrap metal, though, just sitting there doing nothing.

Reply to
Davey

Much better

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Send in the tinkers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where did the ex-Dale Farm folks go?

Reply to
Davey

Gusting from zero means that the thing was taken by surprise. I imagine that the forecasts could have been ignored?

Wind speed ratio to Beaufort number is: Velocity =3D 0.836 Beaufort number x 3/2 m/s then you have to convert 80 mph which is off the scale to start with and doesn't apply to gusts anyway to metres per second. Though the maths should still work.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What isn't?

At least they only fall over with the wind, I'm presuming that the housing will be in the other direction.

When you remove all fear and all likelihood due to the increase of safety features then you have less people killed per accident and a lot less fun.

I remember a programme during which Fred Dibna said that in the old days, men were men and didn't need all the modern safety laws. Bloody hell!

OK if you weren't on piecework or working for a bean counter. They aren't even safe in charge of a bank.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

St Pauls and the LSX.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We can swap it for the Tunnocks factory.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It took me an extra hour to get home last night when the power to the recently opened Hindhead tunnel on the A3 failed and only then was it discovered that the backup system did not work, so the tunnel was closed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Back to Dale Farm?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Friends of ours were evacuated as they were only 300m from the one in Coldingham.

Reply to
Pete Shew

Er what in a tunnel needs power to allow things to drive through it? Don't cars in the south have lights? Or has it been designed such that it needs forced ventilation?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why was it closed? The cars have their own lights, and surely they didn't need the ventilating fans?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Can I advise them how to spell advice?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It is 1.2 miles long, so they probably are essential. I suspect that the fire detection systems were considered even more important.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What did they do, divert Milford-Witley-Haslemere-Hindhead? The old A3 being reverted to nature, I wondered what the backup plan was in event of closure.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Not heard of ventilation shafts?

Batteries?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is incredible that any analysis allows the two controls to not be mechanically linked, even though it is fly by wire. Otherwise in a panic situation not only do they have to go through visual displays, the window, the checklists, the radio, the emergency procedures, the controls, but tell one another "I am pulling back... I am still pulling back".

Worse than the "full rudder moves beyond the aerofoil limits of the aircraft". You can argue in a car no-one would turn the wheel full lock at 100mph, because of visual feedback. In an aircraft not responding correctly or with unknown damage someone may well turn it "full lock" in order to provide sufficient compensatory input.

Pilot human error has a very large component of imbecile designer error.

Reply to
js.b1

So far as I could see, there wasn't one. Coming from London, we were simply turned back the way we came and I didn't see another diversion sign after that, although I wasn't driving and we really were aiming for Chichester, so may not have followed the official route, if one existed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably prohibited in an area of outstanding natural beauty, which was the reason for putting the road in a tunnel in the first place.

For all I know, that may have been the basis of the backup system that failed. However, given that the tunnel only opened in July, it was ridiculous that it failed at all.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar