Win 7 Pro vs XP Pro

What do you gain by upgrading from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro ? And what do you lose ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Support/patches.

64 bit if you're sensible and hence ability to use more than 3G memory. Task manager is better. It's more stable IME.

Money if the upgrade costs? UAC can be a bit of a pain if you set it up wrong.

Reply to
Clive George

Right now, this is the big one.

XP won't support any version of IE above IE8, and - of course - even if you use a different browser, Windows can't have IE removed. They're very soon stopping all security patches for XP, although IE8 might continue until W7's support ends. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if there's a big security hole that'll never be patched heading to XP very shortly.

Reply to
Adrian

Support, better security, compatibility with modern applications... Win 7 64 bit is useful, XP 64 bit lacked driver support. Start button search is quite handy.

Support for older hardware and applications (although you may be able to use them with an XP virtual machine)

Slight learning curve getting used to changes.

Reply to
John Rumm

W7 does not come from the land of the Teletubbies.

Reply to
polygonum

What's UAC ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

IMO it's all a load of M$ bollocks. I ran Win'98 for years without one single patch or update and was not hacked etc. I have loads of M$ updates waiting for this XP machine,hey look,I'm still here. I will stick with XP until this pushing 7 year old computer pops it's clogs. I don't play games etc and use AVG, Spybot, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and CrapCleaner. But, each to their own.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

My XP didn't either though. The UI on my Win7 boxes looks very similar to my XP one...

Reply to
Clive George

If you've not met it, be glad. User Access Control, first introduced under Vista, but mostly tamed under 7. The most obvious thing it does is every time you want to install or update a program, it blacks out the desktop and puts up a window saying, basically, "Are you *really, really* sure you want to do this?", and may ask you to enter the password for administrator permissions, which may be, and probably is on most systems, blank.

Reply to
John Williamson

A widget that traps any attempt by an application to make a change that requires privilege, and if permitted, grant it temporarily.

Later versions of windows moved away from the admin privileges by default security model to one that can gain them only when required.

You can knobble it under Win 7 if you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Crucial will tell you exactly what the score is.

But I rather suspect the issue is that it's virtualised, and your host's plain running out of welly, rather than memory.

Reply to
Adrian

Unlikely.

since CPU is time sliced by vbx and will be allowed as much CPU as it needs

I have never net a machine that didn't have the ability to have RAM in even Gbyte increments so Id guess 4GB is possible

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Turn it off. It's easy to do.

You can usually stick in 4GB, but 32 bit windows can't make use of all of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only if his O/S can handle all those memory addresses, 64 bit windows can but 32 bit windows can't[1]. How many addresses can his O/S handle?

Incidentally isn't the amount of RAM accessible limited to 3.125GB in the BIOS of the 530

[1] Theoretically it can but there are lots of reports about 32 bit Windows only "seeing" 3.5 GB. Quite often this 'lost' memory has been reserved for on-board video but with the Inspiron having a separate graphic card all bets are off.
Reply to
soup

Is it possible to upgrade a 32bit machine (whatever the OS) to its 64 bit equivalent - or do you have to buy new ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

If the hardware is already 64 bit, then yes you can just upgrade OS. If the hardware is 32 only, then you will need new mobo, cpu and ram probably.

Reply to
John Rumm

On 32-bit W7, look at:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System

It will tell you how much is usable. I see quite a lot of HP boxes at

3.24 GB - but it varies.
Reply to
polygonum

This might be useful. I've got it on two XP PCs, but I can't remember if I put it on a W7 Pro laptop.

Ian Jackson

Thanks for that however I don't have an Inspiron 530 to hand it was Huge that was asking about RAM for that. And I am sure he doesn't run Windows at all.

Although replying to TNP I was (sort of) 'talking' about Huge's system

Reply to
soup