Wilo Smart Pump vs Grundfos Alpha?

My 10-year-old Grundfos 3-speed central heating pump is getting a bit noisy, and I intend to replace it in the near future. Since I also intend to fit TRVs to most radiators next summer, it would make sense to fit a pump whose delivery is automatically variable, and I have been considering getting a Grundfos Alpha.

In the latest Screwfix catalogue (#80) I see that they're selling Wilo Smart pumps - which appear to do more or less the same as an alpha - for 45 quid, which is not much more than half the price of an Alpha.

anyone have any experience of the Wilo (pronounced Vee-Lo according to their website) pump? Is it any good? *Does* it do the same as an Alpha? [From the picture it looks as if it may have less scope for adjustment]. Is it a case of "you gets what you pays for" - or do you pay through the nose for the Grundfos label?

Reply to
Set Square

Hmmm - no direct knowledge of the Wilo, but I fitted a Grundfoss Alpha about

2 1/2 years ago.

The Grundfoss has an infinitely variable speed and a green LED which tells you its on - apart from that the specs seem similar.

Very pleased with it - the big advantage is the lack of noise as it auto adjusts the flow rate depending on demand - it is so quiet in fact that during the recent cold snap I can leave the pump on overnight and not be disturbed by any discernable rad/valve noise.

As a point of interest I paid £66 inc. vat for it at my local plumbers (full, not trade price) then.

Slurp

Reply to
Slurp

Looking at the description, it seems as though Wilo have implemented some of the Alpha functionality.

I have an Alpha on my secondary (workshop) circuit and it performs very well. There is a continuously variable control, whereas it appears that the Wilo has three distinct settings.

Having said that, I am not sure that having that level of tweakability is important in a standalone pump. There is another Grundfos pump inside my boiler and that one is controlled on an analogue basis by the boiler controller - 20-100%. I can hook up a PC to the boiler and see what it's all doing - certainly the pump modulates according to demand, as does the burner.

In terms of the pricing, I think that if you shop around, and squeeze suppliers a bit, you should be able to get an Alpha for about £60 - the online places are doing them for £65.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks. I've now found some at £60-65 on line. When I first posted, I had only found some at 80-odd quid. So I guess you're saying "better the devil you know" - if it's not dramatically dearer than a cheaper model?

Ther only seems to be a couple of quid difference between the 15/50 and

15/60. A 15/50 would probably be adequate for my system. Is there any significant disadvantage in fitting a 15/60, and providing a bit of breathing space?
Reply to
Set Square

Yes, I'm not saying that the Wilo is necessarily bad - no direct experience of it - but I do know that the Alpha works well.

What you could do is to look up the data for your existing pump in terms of the pressure/flow curves - especially for the setting that you have been using.

Then compare with the curves for the two Alpha models.

As long as you can achieve sensible adjustability, I think I'd go for the larger one. In my case I did, although I have quite long runs of

22mm between the location in the house where the heat exchanger is installed and the workshop so felt that a bit more availability of oomph wouldn't hurt.
Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Set Square writes

Not the one you're looking at, but I replaced a dead pump (blowing fuses) with a Wilo Gold 50 a couple of years ago. It seems well made, came with a two year guarantee, and has worked with no problems. Despite the name, the Wilo is an interesting shade of green.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson