Will Trespa take a tapped thread?

Sounds like the arm has just under a 5:1 mechanical advantage over the bracket at full extension. The weight of the monitor plus arm is probably only a proportion of the total typical load since manhandling the monitor to reposition it will increase the potential load a bit.

So say you allow 12kg worst case, that would give you 60kg (or 600N) pull on the top fixings.

Which sounds like it ought to be more than adequate for a wall fixing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Kewl, thanks for that ;-)

I carried on as planned with the length of Trespa.

First I cut it to length by hand with a new 14tpi HSS blade in the hacksaw and it cut easily.

I then ran a small rebate off it using the scroll saw with depth stop and a guide clamped to the job.

I then pilot driled some 27 holes in the pillar drill and that was probably the most difficult job due to the bit heating in the material (no matter how fast / slow I worked or set the drill speed).

I then opened the holes out (tapping size) for an 8 x 1.25 mm thread (an easier job).

I then tapped by hand the 24 'adjustment' holes using a new spiral nosees speed tap (fairly easy work).

I then adjusted the wall bracket to take the 8mm machine screws and filed the holes out to pickup the 40mm hole centres (offering 20mm hight adjustment steps from max to min).

The plate was offered to the wall and drilled though the fixing holes with a 'pilot' maisonary drill in the DeWalt.

I then removed the plate and drilled the 3 fixing holes (two at the top and one at the bottom) to take 10mm x 100mm 'Fischer' plugs.

The plate was fitted to the wall and 'nipped up' (so as not to crush the fibre board room lining).

The bracket and arm attached and 19" TFT positioned.

After collecting the daughter from her b/f's and she saw the bracket I asked her what she thought ... "Kewl, thanks Dad" .. ;-)

So, quite a bit of effort / tools / thought involved but I'm now happy that:

1) It isn't going to fall off the wall. 2) I didn't have to paint it. 3) It will be easily adjustable in the future 4) When removed it will only leave 3 x 10mm dia holes. 5) My daughter may see you don't have to use things as it says on the tin ;-)

All the best to all who offered help / advice ;-)

T i m

"I love it when a plan comes together" ;-)

Reply to
T i m