will and ordinary gas cooker work on bottled gas?

Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

TIA.

H.

Reply to
Howie

Typically yes but it will need new jets. When our new French cooker was delivered the fitters asked whether we were on the gas main or on bottled gas - the cooker came supplied with both types of jets and they just fitted the relevant ones. In your case you will probably need to contact the manufacturer and ask them for jets for bottled (butane) gas.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Sorry, I thought from the truncated subject line in my newsreader "will and ordinary gas cooker" that you were asking how to aquire a testamentary disposition by killing somebody with an explosion!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

When I had different jets fitted for bottled gas the installer had to adjust the gas flow to each burner. Had to use a long thin screwdriver down the centre of the spindles for the control knob. Had to make a suitable screwdriver.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

You'll need different jets, some adjustment, and possibly a different hose. I'd ring the manufacturer. Some cookers can't safely be converted at all.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

BTDT. It's a Zanussi hob. And the installer was yours truly.

Reply to
Huge

It's easy to make suitable screwdrivers from wire coathangers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's a brilliant idea. Yet another page in the book 'One zillion things to do with wire coathangers'.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Precisely what I did.

Reply to
Huge

I recall looking into if a French range could be used in the UK. Their natural gas is different in make up. Not only injectors had to be replaced, the whole burner unit. It was just financially not worth it.

That does not mean a cooker cannot work going the other way, with injector changes. A cooker designed to run on Natural or LPG gas may be suitable as the burners will be a different design.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can make a quite serviceable drill bit from one in an emergency.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q