will an ordinary gas cooker work on bottled gas?

Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to France. The house in France has no mains gas but they often have large bottled gas supplies outside the house.

Will any cooker work on bottled gas?

TIA.

H.

--

Apply the usual ROTten Baker's-Dozen to the following to reply by email: R-Znvy: hfrargNGpbnxyrl.pbQBGhx Fxlcr: ubjvr10

Reply to
Howie

"> Hi. I have a 2-year old gas cooker which I want to take to

Only if you can substitute the current gas jets with alternative LPG jets. These should have been supplied with the cooker when you bought it. Then it will work fine, after you have adjusted each burner individually. This is usually a small screw hidden in the gas burner valve shaft, accessible by removing the knobs. You need to do this to ensure the gas doesn't go out when you turn the knob to the simmer position.

Reply to
Rob Bashford

Didn't you like the answers you got to this question a couple of weeks ago??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

--

Apply the usual ROTten Baker's-Dozen to the following to reply by email: R-Znvy: hfrargNGpbnxyrl.pbQBGhx Fxlcr: ubjvr10

Reply to
Howie

|Didn't you like the answers you got to this question a couple of weeks ago?? | |Bob

Hi Bob.

Do you know, I use Agent as my newsreader and it has served me well over the years. However, this particular (original) message disappeared without a trace. I assumed (wrongly) that it never got propogated. Sorry to ask it again, - but I really have no idea where it - or the answers to it, went.

Wierd. Howard.

--

Apply the usual ROTten Baker's-Dozen to the following to reply by email: R-Znvy: hfrargNGpbnxyrl.pbQBGhx Fxlcr: ubjvr10

Reply to
Howie

Different Calorific Values between natural gas and LPG the pressure at the cooker is the same within a few millibars.

NG has a CV of around 39MJ/m^3 Butane around 118MJ/m^3 Propane around 94MJ/m^3

is mostly propane.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah! that explains it. Sorry I was feeling crabby yesterday!! Your Q & A's are still on my (ntl) newserver.

To answer your other query, natural gas and bottled gas are chemically different and at possibly at different pressure and need a differing mix of air/gas to burn cleanly with a blue flame. The air holes tend to be fixed and quite large so the designs use a different jet size to change the volume of gas. You can soon tell is all is correct as the flame should be blue over the whole range of flame sizes, and not produce soot on pans etc.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think you'll find that the viscosity and correct gas-air mixture vary. I'm not sure the calorific value matters much, except for how long it takes a kettle to boil.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Possibly butane and propane molecules are bigger but gases are weird things and don't have much viscousity in the first place.

I'd expect that to be proportional to the calorific value of the gas. All the energy comes from the oxidation, the amount of oxygen available is fixed (more or less) by the amount in the air and how much can be drawn in through the air hole.

I've had a dig about on't 'net and not come up with anything that ties LPG, NG, pressures and jets together. Confidence is high that LPG jets are smaller, the gas/air ratio for efficient combustion is markedly different. Supply pressures?

I've not noticed any significant difference in the time to boil a kettle on a NG v LPG fueled ring. Certainly not the 1/3 or so difference in the calorific values would indicate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This thread is very relevant to an issue I'm trying to resolve. About

10 years ago when we returned to NZ from the USA we brought with us a big old gas range that had been in our house in California, that we'd become attached to. Until now we haven't had the opportunity to use it, but now we are moving into a house with a big kitchen, and I've started thinking about getting the stove working. Because it has been sitting for a long time it has suffered a bit of corrosion, so it isn't 100% clear that it will work. The house doesn't have a gas supply as yet, but we can get it installed quite easily. I'd like to test the stove in advance, and had the idea of getting a small gas bottle for that purpose. (This thing is massive, and getting it up the stairs into the kitchen is going to be a major production, hence my desire to check it out first.) I'm not sure how to ensure that I'm delivering gas at the right pressure. Would the gas regulators that people commonly use for BBQs deliver the right pressure? What is the mains gas pressure typically? I realize that the differing CV of NG and propane will confuse the issue somewhat, but my main concern is to check that the gas flows freely through all the jets. Both the air vents and the gas jets are adjustable on this range, so I feel confident that it will be possible to tune it correctly for our mains gas, when it is installed (I'm not assuming that I will be the right person to do this).
Reply to
Gib

I think it very unlikely you will have sufficient adjustments to allow same jets to be used for NG and LPG. If you adjust the gas flow so that you have the correct gas rate for the burner power given the different CV and density/viscosity, you will have the wrong gas velocity for the air mixing and the wrong mixture velocity for a stable flame.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Using LPG will be a temporary measure to check operation of the burners. I will not try to adjust them to use LPG. If all is OK I will get mains gas, which is NG. My questions relate to pressure when using a gas bottle for testing: "I'm not sure how to ensure that I'm delivering gas at the right pressure. Would the gas regulators that people commonly use for BBQs deliver the right pressure? What is the mains gas pressure typically?"

Reply to
Gib Bogle

1) The adjustments will not be so great as to allow the wrong fuel to be used. 2) Will you need to find someone prepared to fit this? It is presumably for use on NG? You do have the manual? 3) IME large US ranges of the type you probably have will require a pressure regulator in the supply. 4) It will probably need a gas supply for 30kW + i.e. 22mm short run or 28mm on a medium length run. 5) I strongly urge you not to improvise with LPG.
Reply to
Ed Sirett