Will a plug in RCD stop pthe one in the CU from tripping?

I have a couple of machines that have occasional water based mishaps which trips the RCD in the consumer unit, this a real pain in the arse.

If I had a plug in type like this,

would it trip first? Or as I suspect would both trip?

Ta.

Reply to
R D S

Typically I find the one that is most inaccessible trips first. YMMV

Reply to
Martin Brown

IF you put a slo one on the main box and a fast RCBO, you should get what you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The best way to stop nuisance trips is not to use those bloody nanny society things at all. I have wire fuses, they are more forgiving.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 13:45 R D S wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Both will trip almost certainly.

The upstream one will almost certainly register the fault and start its tripping cycle before the downstream one has opened and isolated the fault.

The only way around this is for the upstream one to be time delated (Type S) but this does not meet regs for most of the purposes that it is likely to be there for.

The exception is when you have TT earthing and it's job there is to ensure a trip on a live-earth fault - not to deal with you sticking your fingers in the socket.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 14:23 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And totally non compliant on any new work. and quite frankly a stupid decision.

But we've been here before so don;t bother arguing back.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Compliance compliance, who cares? As long as it works. Stop being such a pansy.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 15:23 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not biting...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm not trolling, I'm just stating you're a wimp. Why worry about what will probably never happen? Go skydiving or something and loosen up.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Fruity as a nutcake you are.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Why would I listen to the opinion of a fire safety person? We need less safety people stopping things happening and more people who actually make things happen.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

As has been stated, either or both will trip.

The best solution is to put the errant circuit on its own RCBO, then only that circuit will be lost if there is a fault. RCBOs are £15 upward, it could be easy to fit, or could be a right pain depending on what CU and configuration you have.

Reply to
A.Lee

Considering that I know what water based trips RDS refers to then I would not call them nuisance trips.

Reply to
ARW

Save the life of a goldfish in your pond?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

You actually believe what you spout. This is frightening.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I'm not the one that gets frightened about a remote chance of something happening.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The only really disappointing thing, is that assuming he does actually do all the dumb shit he proposes, we probably won't get to hear when he does finally kill himself.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its possible that both will trip. In this circumstance you could run a high integrity circuit[1] to closer to the machines, and then RCD them locally.

[1] i.e. no RCD protection at the origin - would need to follow the rules for such circuits.
Reply to
John Rumm

You are failing to differentiate between "likely" and "remote chance".

Did everyone without an RCD (that's all of us) in past times die off? No.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

As I said before, standard practice is 100mA slow on the incoming and

30mA RCBOs on the circuits that get wet. This will ALWAYS result in the RCBO blowing first.

There really isn't any reason not to give the one answer that actually works

You don't legally need an RCD on the incoming, just RCBOS on any 13A sockets that are deemed to be at risk.

But I prefer to have one to cope with wiring faults.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher