Will a Cast Downpipe into a Plastic Downpipe

Hi

I would like to replace a cast gutter downpipe with plastic to fit water butt and diverter, the cast looks slightly smaller to my untrained eye and I wondered if I could just cut the cast downpipe and slot it inside the plastic rather than replace everything. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

Reply to
BT Newsgroup

Replace the untrained eye with a trained measuring device! No guarantee that it will/wont fit without checking Years ago I purchased a plastic heat shrinkable adaptor to make a shit proof joint between a new plastic pipe onto an existing CI pipe.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Before you do though, bear in mind that most diverters get clogged really easily with leaves and moss. It's probably better to just empty the full flow from the gutter down pipe into the butt and fit a large bore overflow from the butt.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You can do cast to plastic transitions... its usually a case of making sure you have a "socket" of adequate size to receive the free end of the other pipe, and then sealing the gap.

Sometimes you need to wind yarn or thin rope around the bottom of the pipe that is going into the socket to form a "stop" for whatever sealant you are planning on using, setting that into the socket, and then filling up the gap (either a flexible mastic, or in the case of a cast iron socket, often a mortar mix).

Reply to
John Rumm

A decent BM will have an adaptor to couple one to the other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But if you know that and don't glue bits together it's easy to clear out.

Then all the crud from the down spout ends up in the butt blocking it's oulet and filling it with loads of evil, black, anerobic, rotting muck...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then run the overflow from the bottom of the barrel so that it's getting flushed through? Just a thought.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Don't think there would be enough flow through such an overflow to,lift the crud the full height of the water depth to flush it through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice