Wiki: Shredder

Feedback welcome

NT

==Paper Shredder== ===Shredder scissors===

  • Small, light, cheap,
  • Convenient for minimal amounts of shredding
  • Can cross cut or strip cut

===Manual shredder=== Ok for shredding a percentage of domestic mail

===Electric shredder===

  • The most popular type of shredder
  • Very wide range of units & prices

Properties

  • Strip or crosscut - crosscut is more secure
  • Size of strips or pieces
  • Number of sheets taken in one go
  • Speed of shredding
  • How it handles staples (jams, stops, passes them whole or shreds them)
  • Some also chop CDs and credit cards
  • How it handles jams - some automatically reverse feed to clear a jam.

Shredded paper is used for animal bedding, and can often be given away on freecycle etc.

===Alternatives===

  • burn
  • microwave destruction of CDs

==Garden shredder== Designed to shred tree prunings & sometimes weeds. Shredding turns the prunings into mulch.

Properties

  • Size limit - maximum wood size tends to be small with domestic units, often around an inch. The biggest units can swallow whole trees.
  • [[Noise]] - most garden shredders are extremely noisy, making ear defenders essential, and annoying neighbours
  • Mechanism type - some behave better than others
  • Blade replacement - usually blades are replaceable & cheap. Generally they can be resharpened with an [[angle grinder]] several times before replacement.

===Other uses=== Garden shredders can also be used to shred used [[carpet]] to make fibres for concrete crackproofing. Clearly this is a use not recommended by manufacturers, and may invalidate guarantees.

  • Precut the [[carpet]] into diagonal strips. They need to be diagonal to limit max thread length, otherwise the shredder mechanism may be tied up & jammed.
  • Doing this by hand is hard going, an [[Scissors|electric cutter]] makes it easy.
  • Feed the strips in one at once, it can be hard going for the machine.
  • Expect to need to open a jammed mechanism occasionally and cut threads out.

The resulting mixed fibres can be added to concrete to increase its tensile strength and counter cracking. Around 1% fibre is used for this. Its also possible to use them with [[bitumen]] for roof repairs, at a much higher percentage. Only synthetic fibres are recommended, wool pile or canvas backing doesn't last so well. Finally its possible to make a low grade fibre cement by mixing a high percentage of fibre with [[cement]] & [[sand]].

==See also==

  • [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Article Index]]
  • [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:Appliances]] [[Category:Carpet]] [[Category:Garbage]] [[Category:Garden]] [[Category:Tools]] [[Category:Wood]]

Reply to
Tabby

It would be worth pointing out that if shredded paper is used for animal bedding, you must ensure that staples or pins are removed, to prevent injury to the pets.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

thanks, added

NT

Reply to
Tabby

And that the paper is just paper. Not sure what effects the chemicals from thermal print paper (till, credit/debit card receipts etc) may have on animals when they eat it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And how about the ink? When I was a child my mother used to make sandwiches on a clean newspaper. When she disputed my claim that I had writing on my sandwiches, I held a sandwich next to a mirror and read the news to her.

Reply to
Matty F

I think printing ink is a little bit cleaner these days. To parallel your story, when I was a child, we used to transfer newspaper pictures into drawing books etc using a method akin to tracing. 1)Rub a wax candle to cover one side of a sheet of tracing/greaseproof paper.

2)Place waxy side down on the newspaper and rub vigorously over the picture you want to transfer. 3)Peel off then place waxy side down on the drawing paper. 4)Rub vigorously again and the picture will transfer. Sometimes there was enough absorbed ink in the wax to make two or three transfers (fainter each time).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

chemicals

Donno, like the thermal paper. Just a heads up...

I remember having fish and chips wrapped in old newspaper.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice