Wiki: Save Energy

Don't think it actually kills you - you die with it rather than because of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[A load of utter c*ck]

Drivel? Is that you?

Reply to
Huge

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Potatoes are tested for solanine content anyway.

Reply to
Huge

I thought that was Dennis?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He couldn't eat, he had no voluntary movement, no obvious signs of 'intelligence' and was in extreme pain (so far as anyone could judge). I think most people would accept a colloquial definition of it killing him, albeit a medical person might wish to put 'heart attack while suffering from Altzheimer's' (or whatever they did write).

Reply to
Rod

Mines stainless steel.

Never heard that one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not all of these are symptoms of Alzheimer's, though.

I'm not so sure. While generally a disease of old age it's not always so - and sufferers can live for a very long time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glass isn't a fluid and it doesn't flow. That it does is an urban legend of astonishing durability.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Oh it kills you in the end. After memory goes various things like noticing you are hungry and thirsty.

Generally about 8 years from first symptoms on average.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you're in that state you'd be in care and I'd hope they'd not let you starve to death.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think that is about what it took.

Reply to
Rod

Is Aluminium a risk factor in Alzheimer's Disease?

Aluminium is the third most abundant element in the earth's crust. The main sources of aluminium in our diet include tea, beer, baked products, drinking water, toothpaste, aluminium-based antacids, aluminium cookware and some canned beverages. The average daily intake of aluminium from food by UK adults is estimated as 3.9mg which is well below internationally recognised safe limits.

Aluminium uptake from our diets is usually very low, with more than 99% passing through the digestive system unabsorbed. Absorption increases significantly in the presence of acidic foods such as orange juice. The small amount of aluminium that is absorbed into the body is rapidly excreted by the kidneys in urine except in individuals with impaired kidney function where aluminium retention within the body is responsible for dialysis dementia.

Alzheimer's disease is a degenerative condition resulting in dementia, occurring mainly in the elderly. Aluminium has been suggested as a possible cause of or risk factor for Alzheimer's Disease due to its presence in the brains of Alzheimer's Disease patients (specifically beta-amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles). The proposed link between dietary aluminium intake and Alzheimer's Disease is still the subject of considerable debate. No causal relationship has been established, and accumulation of aluminium in the brain may be a natural part of the disease process. Recent studies have reported the identification of various genes associated with the disease, suggesting that sufferers may have a genetic predisposition to the condition.

Aluminium cookware is generally considered safe to use. But acidic foods, such as tomatoes and other fruits, should not be cooked in aluminium pans - particularly those of a lower quality. This is because aluminium is leached from utensils by acidic foods and this process can contribute significant quantities of aluminium to the diet. In addition, aluminium cookware should not be used by kidney dialysis patients or anyone with renal insufficiency.

Reply to
Rod

We had one in the past like that, however our current Prestige one is stainless...

Reply to
John Rumm

... ...

Or as a container for brewing beer in

Reply to
geoff

[...]

'Tis good!.

Reply to
john

D.M. Procida wrote:

Daniele,

I read a technical piece on this very subject about 9 months ago which categorically stated that glass was a very slow moving liquid - but as usual, I have passed that paper on. I did a very quick google "I'm feeling lucky" and came up with -

- but there are also further 'hits' such as -
below is the conclusion to the first 'hit'. Conclusion There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic. In terms of its material properties we can do little better. There is no clear definition of the distinction between solids and highly viscous liquids. All such phases or states of matter are idealisations of real material properties. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to everyday experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true. The observed features are more easily explained as a result of the imperfect methods used to make glass window panes before the float glass process was invented.

Pick the bones out of all that info and decide yourself!

Bloody hell, now I'm getting as bad as snipped-for-privacy@care2.com *eg* - I must get out more and finish all those jobs that I have startedf. ROTFL

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

Glass is generally considered a non-crystalline amorphous solid.

Glass, at temperatures below 270C, cannot be subjected to forces that would cause it to flow (because those forces will simply cause it to break).

This really has been debunked time and time again. Ask alt.folklore.urban, if you don't mind being chased out of the room with a mound of equations and citations.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Hi Daniele,

I must admit that I disagree with you on that subject - and as I really replied to a reply in this thread in a moment of complete and utter boredom (age and retirement does occasionally have its downside) and light heartedness I really don't wish to get bogged down in any heavy technical discussions - so shall we agree to disagree?

As for folklore - I've been around long enough to have probably have made some of that myself in my misspent youth - I was forever having the old village constable (yep they even had one of those where I grew up) chasing my proverbial bum - and getting the often much deserved clip around the lughole of him - ahhhhhh, the memories LOL.

Oh! And by the way, there has often been a great deal of truth in folklore -- so you never know, the glass in your windows may well drip down to the bottom in one big amorphous lump in a few millions years. Come back to the group then and let us all know who was correct. ;-)

All the best

Big Grin

Reply to
Big Grin

[...]

It won't change the fact that he's right and you are wrong.

Or you could save time by looking at a piece of volcanic glass a few million years old, and noticing it still has sharp edges. On a slightly smaller timescale, you can see sharp engraving on Roman glass in museums.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

My wife has two pieces of Roman glass (she collects "art glass"). Neither of them show any evidence of flow, and both are well over 1000 years old.

Reply to
Huge