Wiki:Plug socket

I've heard 'outlet' used at least as often as 'receptacle'.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Didn't IBM refer to them as "hermaphrodite"?

Reply to
Robin

I mentioned that...with a link to a picture for those who've never seen one!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

At the PC end its exactly the same - in the sense both are D connectors.

or 25 pin in some cases.

Indeed, but I can't see what difference it makes. DTEs (i.e. the computer) traditionally get the male end... hence the female "socket" is on the lead not the device.

Reply to
John Rumm

... Sounds good to me.

NT

Reply to
NT

A broadcast engineer I worked with called them his freakies.

Reply to
thirty-six

What, faxes? Just get a combined printer/fax/copier/scanner.

The correct terms are male and female where RS232 is concerned.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well it should do, but it rarely did IME. I always carried a small collection of gender-benders, null modems and the like, just in case. Luckily it was fairly rare to need to actually connect my iBook to any of our routers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

None at all to me, now :-)

One of the nice things about retiring was no longer having to worry about sodding RS232.

Until to fiddle around with I bought a 68000 SBC with - yes! - two 9-pin serial ports.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well you know what they said about 232 being the number of combinations of wiring 3 wires onto a 25 pin plug!

;-)

Old McDonald had a computer....

....with EIA IO

Reply to
John Rumm

Plocket is much easier to spell.

Reply to
Plusnet

Sometimes I like to be spontaneous and not read to the end of a thread before replying :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain