Wiki: Acid

Firstly you may have problems getting a Stihl dealer to sell you anything without a Chain Saw certificate. I have a Stihl 023 which I've had for years (14" bar) and have in the last year bought a couple of Stihl 038 Farmbosses on ebay (18" bar). I like to have a carry bag for the chain saws so everything stays together - a Stihl dealer refused to sell me a bag without a certificate!!! Incidentally I have legitimate grandfather rights to use one. Stihl saws are great - very reliable, spares easily available and relatively easy to fix if things go wrong. One of the 038s was a wreck, and I replaced the piston/ cylinder/oil pump , some anti vibration mounts and chain the catcher and now it's a fantastic machine.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

IMHE, you've got more trouble in buying one without getting the half- hour lecture about how Stihl won't let them sell on-line, so now they're losing that market to grey market resellers who don't care about it. Stihl haven't stopped on-line sales, but they've certainly alienated their dealers over this.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson" saying something like:

Fcking ridiculous carry-on, iyam. When did that come in?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No such requirement. There is (quite rightly) a restriction on top- handle chainsaws (really only to be used at height anyway) and you need to have a certificate of competence before buying one of those.

You may of course find a dealer that won't sell without a chit, but that's just up to them.

Personally I'd support a certificate requirement for chainsaw bars without a tip protector (anti kickback), including electrics.

Reply to
Andy Dingley