Wiki: 2 way mains lead

Another article in the writing for your input...

2 way mains lead

Mains leads are available with 2x IEC connectors run from one plug. These save sockets and space when running computers, AV systems, etc.

This article shows how to make these socket saving leads, and discusses how to do so safely.

==The basics== This lead is just 2 mains leads in one plug. Few people need instructions on how to fit a plug, but when it comes to 2 leads in one it isn't as easy, and some extra issues need considering.

For one example, everything only just fits into the plug, so its necessary to get the wires the right length and lay the wires out properly in the plug. Failure to do this usually results in a plug lid that won't fit back on. Best practice is often ignored with a single lead, but with two its necessary or the plug won't go together.

==Parts== First you need 2 mains leads. These need to have the same outer diameter [[flex|wire]]. It looks much neater if they're the same length and style too.

[[image:Lead - wires fit 678-3.jpg|thumb|Checking the flexes fit]] And you need a plug - but a lot of plugs won't work. You need one that you can get both the leads into, side by side. It doesn't matter if the fit is rather tight, but they do need to go in. Avoid any (old) plug with a fibre cordgrip, these old cordgrips are entirely inadequate for twin leads. Also avoid any plug with cordgrips that you just press the flex into, these are unable to grip 2 leads.

==Tools==

  • Wire cutters to cut the wire.
  • [[Knives|Knife]] or [[Scissors|scissors]] to strip it
  • Small [[screwdrivers|screwdriver]]

==Construction== Cut the plugs off the 2 mains leads.

Strip enough of the outer pvc sheath off each lead.

[[image:Lead - cordgrip 679-3.jpg|thumb|Flexes in cordgrip - note position of lives & neutrals]]

Fit both leads into the cordgrip, and tighten it up, making sure it grips both [[flex]]es firmly. Position the flexes correctly, so that the live is on the right and neutral on the left for both flexes. There won't be space later to have wires crossing over each other unnecessarily.

The easiest way to fit the flex into the cordgrip is to remove one [[screws|screw]] completely, and undo the other as far as it goes. Push the [[flex]]es in firmly, get them lined up evenly side by side, not one above the other, before doing up both sides of the cordgrip. The [[screwdrivers|screwdriver]] can be used to lever the flexes into the right position. Tug on each flex to be sure its gripped firm.

If the plug won't grip both leads firmly, now is the time to reject it. You'll only waste time otherwise.

[[image:Lead - lives ready 685-3.jpg|thumb|Lives ready to insert, terminal fully open]]

Now fit the pairs of wires to each plug terminal. # Cut the insulation to the correct length so there's no excess length anywhere, and strip to leave about 1cm of bare copper wire at each wire end. # For each wire pair, check the strands are fully untwisted, place the

2 wires together and twist them as one. Double over the end, using your nail to get a sharp bend. If necessary press on the resulting folded wire to minimise its width. # Its generally easiest to fit the [[Earthing types|earths]] first, then lives then neutrals. The lives are the least easy to work with, as they're so short. # Before inserting the wires into each terminal, make sure the plug [[screws]] are undone enough to give the full width of opening for each terminal. You won't get far if you skip this. [[image:Lead - all in 686-3.jpg|thumb|Wirea all in place]] Press all the wires down into position as you go. If you make a mistake on any wire length, redo it. Its very tempting to say who cares, that'll work fine, but IME any slack wire normally results in it being impossible to fit all the wires in at a later stage. The small screwdriver is useful for pressing the wires down - its usually a fairly tight fit. [[image: - - - fuse in|thumb|Fuse in]] Fit a suitable [[fuse]] - 5A for IEC connectors, 2A or 3A for figure of 8 leads. Don't put 13A fuses in these leads.

Fit the plug lid. You might find a little wire repositioning is needed, the screwdriver's useful for pressing wires into place.

[[image:Lead - finished 688-5.jpg|thumb|Finished lead]] You now have a lead!

===Wire touble?=== [[flex|Wires]] too long should be cut to fit. If you get one too short, gotta start again. There isn't normally enough room to accomodate wires the wrong length.

==Safety== A question often asked is how safe these leads are. The short answer is perfectly safe if good practice is followed, but sometimes not if it isn't.

Double leads are available from retail outlets such as computer sellers and electrical shops, they conform to all relevant legislation and pass PAT tests. The leads discussed here are constructed a little differently, and the following questions are sometimes raised:

===One lead unplugged=== What happens if one lead is unplugged, is it safe lying on the floor?

An unplugged end is touch safe, but can be a risk to small children and animals. Two way leads are recommended for use where this won't occur. So they're suitable for computer systems, AV systems, hifis etc, but aren't so well suited to assorted portable appliances that may get unplugged individually. This is equally true of ready made and home made leads.

===Plugs aren't designed for 2 flexes=== So is it safe?

There are 2 things affected by this: terminals and cordgrip.

====Terminals==== The terminals in plugs work safely with any wire size upto the biggest that fits into the terminal. If it goes in, all is good.

====Cordgrips===== Cordgrips are another matter. Many plug cordgrips are unable to firmly grip 2 flexes, and such plugs should not be used. The functions of a cordgrip are # to stop the wire moving around in the plug, making the terminals come loose # To prevent the wire being pulled out

A robust and well sized cordgrip can do this with 2 flexes no problem. Its very simple to check whether your chosen cordgrip is doing its job, so all is well as long as you check this when making the lead.

  • Both flexes should be gripped firm
  • The cordgrip [[screws]] must go right the way through the plastic cord grip strip.
  • The old fibre cordgrip strips aren't strong enough
  • screwless cordgrips don't work with 2 flexes.

===2 leads one fuse=== Is it safe having 2 leads on one [[fuse]]?

This is how it is with extension leads, adaptors and multi-way sockets. Its not a safety problem.

===Overload=== Can these leads be overloaded?

Its physically possible to put 2 kettle leads in one plug, fit a 13A fuse and draw 25A, so yes, it can be done if the potential issues are ignored. The fuse in the plug provides some degree of overcurrent protection, but not necessarily enough in every case. A 13A fuse for example will pass over 20A for half an hour, failing to protect the plug.

To be totally safe the leads are not recommended for high power uses, and a 5A [[fuse]] or less is best to ensure the fuse provides complete protection for plug and socket. A 5A plug fuse won't pass enough current for enough time to damage a mains plug - higher rated fuses can.

This issue is the same for factory made leads as home made ones, and with a little basic care the leads are safe.

===Summary=== These leads are legal and safe if constructed and used in accordance with good practice. However there are safety issues that can occur if the extra issues of these leads are overlooked.

==See Also==

  • [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
  • [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:Electrical]] [[Category:Safety]] [[Category:Tidy up]]

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Add at the bottom....

Or pop into maplin and buy item # SH97F which is a mains plug to two iec connectors.

Reply to
dennis

I'm sure you know more about this subject than I do, but this seems like an incredible bodge & not terribly safe.

If a customer asked me to do it I'd say no.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can't visualise the ideal cable grip for two flexibles.

Reply to
John

... which are readily available from computer stores and DIY stores ...

I don't think it's possible to do it properly and safely.

The cord grip in a normal plug is designed for a single cable and the inside of the plug will rarely have enough space for two sets of conductors to be .

I'd say the main consideration would be that it is not worth the hassle!

There is a really simple question I think which can be used to determine whether or not something is a good idea.

1) Would you do it at a place of work? Or to take the example further, a school? 2) Would you be happy if you had paid a professional to do some work and they did this?

I'd say the answer to both of those questions is no, therefore it's really not a good idea.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I really like the DIY Wiki and appreciate all the hard work people put into it - especially yourself. I just don't think this is a good article as it is not advocating good practice.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lupton

You can get trailing block IEC connectors - just like 13 amp ones. But you might have to go to a pro supplier to get them. Places like CPC do them in a chassis mounting strip (4 or 6) which you'd have to box up and add a fuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

However people do do such things already so anything that makes it safer is good.

Its not worth it though when you can buy ready made leads to do the same from maplin that are structurally sound.

PS if you cable tie the two cables together in the plug the grips works fine, if there is enough space for the tie.

Reply to
dennis

Like this?

dennis

Plus I doubt you'd be able to fit two standard IEC leads into one plug - the cables are too thick.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, that's not the definition of legal. It needs to be constructed in accordance with the relevant British Standards and EN's. I don't have a copy of BS1363 handy, but I suspect 2 flexes into a rewirable plug would be outside scope. Since 13A plugs have to conform to BS1363, that would probably make it illegal.

This shouldn't be in the Wiki. Doing it for yourself or on a personal web page might be different.

Last time I bought some properly made ones from CPC, I think they were around £2 in any case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I brought one of these for work and our PAT tester[1] wouldn't pass it.

[1] The physical human doing the testing rather than the machine itself.
Reply to
whisky-dave

Sometimes there is a certain type of employee who ends up doing PAT testing etc. and they can be a right pain in the arse.

Reply to
DM

All of the numbers below are CPC ones, go to

and type into search.

There are cables with a moulded 'Y' block to reduce to a single cable before it enters the plug; I have some of these with two IEC sockets and an IEC plug. PL09625 and PL09132.

The 2 way one the OP is asking for is PL09626 or PL09627 depending on length. I disagree with TMH here; nothing wrong with them at all, and the plug is fused of course. This has a Y moukding and fairly short IEC socket tails.

There's also FT00702 as a 5 way IEC outlet, PL-ST474030 as a 4-way shuttered IEC outlet,

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed buy the proper thing or a distribution block and male/female leads. Oh and they may be structurally sound but it is not unknown for brand new moulded mains leads to be wired incorrectly! They may be new but the should be tested/checked before putting into service.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not wander down to Maplin and sell on marked up 50%?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Provided the cables are the same size then the "push into the slot between two bits of plastic" should work fine. I'm a little more dubious about the normal two screws and bar type.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I guess some are but he isn't, of course partly it's because the college makes that person responsible for any accident that might occur. This is so the college doesn't get sued but the individual will.

The problem is that the fuse in the plug is there to protect the cable not the equipment. In that respect most of these 2 way Y IEC cables are

10 amp cables (CSA 1.0mm^2) with a13 amp socket in the plug. If both IEC connectors are plugged in to appliances that take more than 5 amps each you'll exceed the cables capacity that enters in to the plug and the fuse won't blow until over 13 amps is passed through the 10 amp cable.

Recently we brought 20 pieces of equipment from a company and they supplied

10 amp IEC cables with 13 amp fuses fitted. So he replaced all the 13 amp fuse with 5amp. We also won't allow the shaver type 2 pin plugs with the adaptors. We also require that all 3 pin plugs have those sheathed pins for L&N . So far he has tested over 7,000 items. >
Reply to
whisky-dave

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

I've done this a few times, but no way is it a permanent solution - the cable grip just doesn't grip for long. Temp bodge only.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Especially when they are available ready made. SH97F from Maplin. £9.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

One of these

and four IEC leads could be useful.