WiFi woes ...

Well not woes, but issues.

Having got a nice little Android tablet for Xmas (A Cube U30GT2 - fantastic little bit of kit for

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Have the same problem some weekends when I guess the local disco is using a 2.4Ghz booster. Next doors microwave messes up the wifi camera, but not the network. Have also discovered this when traveling and surrounded by office networks, the range for successful connection can be below 15ft. Varies a bit from device to device and location. That's why I prefer wired networks available all over the house.

Reply to
Capitol

If you have a spare old redundant router you can usually configure it to be a repeater with a bit of effort. Failing that analyse the networks around you and pick the channel(s) that are least interferred with. Older BT network routers seem to all choose the same default.

If you are really stuck run wired or WiFi Ethernet over powerline to the deadspot. It doesn't help that Victorian plasteres thought it a great idea to embed chicken wire in plaster to stop it slumping - it makes a great Faraday cage as do slightly damp stone walls 3' thick!

There are more WiFi networks in our small village than houses. Every BT network bar one is sat on the same channel and they all have a parasitic BTFon service sitting on top of that.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'm just about coping. I have routers coming out of my ears ;) A little light googling suggests that if you have competing airspace, you should set your channel to *match* an adjacent signal. Apparently the protocols are designed to cope with that better than dealing with the spillover between channels.

Interestingly enough all the competing channels were 1,6,11. Which is what the article that mentioned the above predicted.

Not Victorian. 1962. However, someone mentioned a tendency in those days to mix soot with mortar ... which also has quite a dampening effect on WiFi.

I'm just as guilty. I have 3 WiFi networks. 1 is our domestic one (VM). 1 is my work one (BT). And a private one I set up for our security IPCams. That one is homeplugged into my server on a different network to the other 2.

I've disabled my BTFon service. Which means I can't complain if I can't get BT Wifi when I'm out and about.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In article , Jethro_uk scribeth thus

Ages ago ... some streets in Cambridge you drive down them with net stumbler and its like a continuous whine rather then a series of pings;!..

So..

  1. Go wired cable:)

2 Go 5.8 Ghz there is more room up there for indoor outdoor and point to point links. See if you have that in your phone and some more modern wi-fi routers have it as standard these days. The performance i.e. penetration thru walls isn't quite so good, but as few use it then may be better for you..

Else put a 2.4Ghz router right next to the equipment..

Have a look to see if there not all on the same default channel usually number 6...

Reply to
tony sayer

and the spillover problem is much worse with the newer higher speed protocols. If you don't actually need that (and most people don't), try falling back to 802.11b or 802.11g, and you might find it becomes much more stable.

I think that due to channel spillover with the higher speed protocols, only a few widely spaced channels can be used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

et BT Wifi when I'm out and about.

I left mine enabled but switched to a different router as I heard the BT ca n gain access to your home network. They said that they would only do it i f you asked them to help with an issue. This means that I dont offer the B Tfon service but I can still use others (some might not agree with this).

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

AIUI, if you use channel 6 say, you are actually using channels 4,5,6,7 and 8. I have not had much luck trying, either adjacent channels or the same channel under these interfering circumstances. I have seen locations where almost all the channels are in use and of roughly equal strength yet the system works, others where it's just a few channels and it doesn't. I suspect that there can be spurious frequencies generated by some transmitters which the receiver can detect sufficiently well to block the required data frequency. The other problem is if people are using booster amplifiers, which may well spray frequencies everywhere. Difficult to show without a spectrum analyser. I agree that 5.8GHz may be a solution.

Reply to
Capitol

Following this thread, I played around with my router, and set it to "802.11n *only*" (as opposed to mixed). A few test in the same room show that it has improved quite a bit (getting d/l of 18Mb/s and Upload of 4Mb/ s)

But walk the 10 feet to the lounge it becomes ..

d/l 0.02 Mb/s u/l 0.3 Mb/s (?!)

Mind you, Android being Android, I have no idea how reliable these apps are ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Which app was that?

Reply to
Capitol

There's no reason for it to be totally inaccurate, and you've just described exactly what happened when my neighbour got a new wifi using games console. Normal service was resumed when I switched channels to one that didn't overlap his setup.

Reply to
John Williamson

Jethro_uk

as (A Cube U30GT2 - fantastic little bit of kit for

Reply to
lee.a.nowell

Already got it and used it. Signal strength is hovering around -75dBm

Not in our house, but could be a neighbours ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

-75Db sounds OK... Did you see more than one SSID signal on the graph? If not, your issue does seem odd. If you do, is the channel your signal is on congested/ overlapping with other signals?

Reply to
lee.a.nowell

At one point there were 8 others that aren't mine !

As I said, the others are all 1,6,11 ...

It's not a pressing issue at the moment. I rarely surf in that room.

Additionally there are suggestions that the ROM and version of Android may be implicated, if you scour this dedicated forum ...

Overall I'm dead chuffed with the tablet. The display is quite breathtaking, and it plays media and surfs OK elsewhere.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thanks.

Reply to
Capitol

We had one once take out a long range 2.4 Ghz link years ago on a radio comms site where someone lived nearby. Did some tests, took it to the microwave menders he put his tester on and commented that we might has well not bother to close the door as it was leaking so much..

In the end the company who were being interfered with just bought him a brand new upmarket one which cured the problem;)

But these bands where wi-fi are used are open to anyone to use for a lot of purposes, so its hardly surprising that theres interference..

A bit of a large scale protest to Ofcom the communication regulator for more spectrum there might be and idea, but they seem these days to want to sell it off to the highest bidder..

What a surprise;-(....

Reply to
tony sayer

I have an Android phone and a (reasonable spec) tablet, the phone can pick up the WiFi from my router at least 30M out of the front door and down the street (though that could be a problem in itself...) The Android tablet however struggles to pick up a signal in the next room.

Inssider reports -45dbm on the phone and -70dbm on the tablet, in the same room. I would blame Android, but both are running 4.2.2...

Reply to
Lee

After some messing about, I dug out an old BT 2Wire router, reset it, disabled DHCP, setup a new wireless network and plugged it into the homeplug which brings the network to my media player. Now have 100% coverage in the house, and a nice d/l speed of >10MB/s in the lounge.

Weirdest thing is since I've done this, I can't see any "foreign" networks at all. Been like this for nearly a week.

Reply to
Jethro_uk